Smart & Biggar has been at the forefront of IP and technology law for over 100 years. We practice in every area of IP on behalf of an exceptional international clientele, and we are consistently ranked as Canada’s leading IP firm. We are committed to hiring people with different backgrounds and experience, who represent the best talent in their field.
Our Vancouver office is currently looking for a Patent Legal Assistant to provide support to a partner within our firm. We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic team member to join this patent group.
Qualifications, competences and experience:
- Independently and proactively prepare, coordinate, revise, and transcribe standard and non-standard administrative and legal documents
- Coordinate the opening of new files, manage related documents, prepare drafts and memorandums
- Manage patent files, monitor deadlines and due dates, prepare formal documents, and file patent applications
- Anticipate client needs and respond accordingly
- Corresponding with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office and domestic and international associates on patent matters
- Monitor and ensure critical deadlines are met
- General administrative duties including inbox management, time entry, preparation of billings, and file management
- Provide technical guidance to junior team members
- Legal or Administrative Assistant Diploma or relevant experience
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to deal directly with clients and all levels of staff
- Ability to meet strict deadlines under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organized and proactive, able to multi-task and handle changing priorities
- Strong focus and understanding of client relationships and exceptional client service
- Team player with the ability to work under pressure and take on additional responsibilities
- Proactively seeks information and guidance to ensure highest quality service and mitigate potential issues or risks
- Strong proficiency in MS Office and ability to learn new software and technology quickly
Located in the heart of downtown, close to transit and amenities, Smart & Biggar offers a comprehensive total rewards package including:
- A competitive compensation structure based on transparency, clarity and fairness
- A flexible benefits program
- Personal days to help balance personal and professional commitments
- Family friendly policies including a 35-hour workweek
- Employee referral program
If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, please submit your resume electronically through our Career Portal.
Smart & Biggar is a proud member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), working to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our firms and the broader legal profession. We welcome application from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Smart & Biggar is proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s 2019 Top Small and Medium Employers. Find out why!
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.