The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges, and we are currently hiring a Temporary Full-time Residential Counsellor, Team Leader. Broadview Village residences provide around-the-clock support to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health challenges. This position reports to the Residential Manager. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week. Location and scheduling assignments may change based on organizational and programmatic needs.
This position requires someone who has a passion for and takes initiative in the creation and implementation of programming in areas such as: personal care & hygiene, mental health advocacy and community integration. The capacity to work collaboratively within a team is required, as well as with a large number of stakeholders including: healthcare professionals, consultants, colleagues, community members, family members and friends. This position also requires a resilient direct support professional who is confident in navigating conflict, overcoming obstacles, de-escalation techniques and who is creative in providing support to individuals in crisis.
The Residential Counsellor must ensure that their activities follow established legislation, and policies and procedures including: Employment Standards; Occupational Health & Safety Standards; Collective Agreements; Payroll Procedures; Salvation Army Accreditation; and Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008 (SIPDDA).
· Creating support protocols, completing behavioural and mental health assessments, and ensuring completion of medical assessments and reports
· Providing support for residents’ personal development including creating individual support planning (ISP) documents and monthly follow up Program Review Documents.
· Functioning as prime advocate for residents and facilitating self-advocacy to community supports in collaboration with colleagues and other healthcare professionals
· Collecting and analyzing data and anecdotal information to continually develop optimal support plans
· Overseeing resident personal belonging inventories
· Medication administration and coordination of health/medical appointments
· Providing financial support to residents in payment of expenses as well as maintaining accurate & timely records of resident finances
· Ensuring learning opportunities are provided utilizing agency and community resources. Includes planning and participating in community outings and daytime/weekend trips, etc.
· Fostering independence in residents including supervising and assisting residents with meal preparation & clean-up
· Maintaining cleanliness of program site, ensuring health and safety protocols are closely followed
· Providing orientation and/or support to co-workers, students, volunteers and/or family members
· Following and promoting the agency’s and House program goal and philosophy
· Other duties as assigned
· Completed 2-3 year Developmental Services Worker Diploma or other equivalent degree/diploma related to human services
· Preferred minimum 3-5 years’ experience working with people with developmental disabilities and preferably working with individuals who have a dual diagnosis of mental health challenges and developmental disabilities
· Experience with writing, implementing and updating Individual Support Planning
· Strong counselling/de-escalation support skills required
· Medication administration experience preferred
· Proficient computer skills needed in Microsoft Office and email programs
· Valid Standard First Aid Certificate (including CPR)
· Ability to achieve Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate upon hire, the employer will provide training.
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
· A clear vulnerable sector screening
· Valid driver’s license an asset, and clean driver’s abstract required
· Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
LOCATION: Toronto (Broadview/Danforth)
HOURS: This position works 40 hours per week (flexibility will occasionally be required).
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
This is a Bargaining Unit position represented by OPSEU Local 550
Reference ID: Competition # 2020-25
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $22.06 to $23.90 /hour