Coast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.
Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
About Nair Place
Nair Place is a 26-bed licensed mental health residential facility, located in Langley. Nair Place serves people living with mental illness and high-personal care needs.
Under the direction of the Manager or designate, the Resident Care Worker is responsible for providing residents with nursing assistant care and personal care and performs housekeeping duties in a residential setting.
Typical Job Duties
- Provide residents with nursing assistant care.
- Responsible for completing records on resident admission, transfer and discharge forms.
- Observe and monitor residents and their environments and report unsafe condition and behavioral, physical and cognitive changes to supervisor.
- Assist clients with activities of daily living such as feeding, lifts, transfers, bathing, skin care, oral hygiene and toileting.
- Perform housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, washing dishes and laundry.
- Administering medications, implementing and following plans and directives in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Performs limited food preparation (i.e. heating prepared food and making salad and sandwiches) and restock supplies such as personal care supplies, first aid supplies and housekeeping supplies.
- Accompany clients on outings such as appointments and leisure activities
- Grade 12 or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience in an applied Human/Social Service field and two years in a residential care / mental health setting including community work experience.
- Resident Care Attendant Certificate
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- A Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Clearance required if hired
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of nursing assistant care procedures and policy
- Ability to operate related equipments
- Ability to work with clients living with mental illness
- Ability to work effectively independently and in cooperation with others
- Effective time management, organizational skills and prioritization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to observe, recognize, report and follow up on changes in clients.
- Ability to proactively mitigate client and operational risk
- Positively contribute to team dynamics and continuity of care within a 24/7 operating model
- We believe in our people and recognize for hard work
- We operate client-centered care under the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation
- There is a variety of work within a particular position and within the organization
- We strive to be the best that we can be
- We hold Exemplary Status accreditation through Accreditation Canada
- We have won numerous awards for our innovative programming
- We care about our employees, and believe in living our values and culture throughout the organization
***Employees of Coast must apply with their internal account (Coast email address registered). Current Coast employees who apply to this posting using external accounts will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***