National Defence - Royal Canadian Navy
Victoria (British Columbia), Vancouver Island - Other locations (British Columbia), Halifax (Nova Scotia)
SC-DED-04, SC-DED-05, SO-FLP-04, SO-FLP-05, SO-FLP-06, SO-MAO-02, SO-MAO-03, SO-MAO-04, SO-MAO-05, SO-MAO-06, SO-MAO-10
See Collective Agreements for Pay Rates
Ship's Officer: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/agreements-conventions/view-visualiser-eng.aspx?id=20#tocxx315284
Ship's Crew: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/agreements-conventions/view-visualiser-eng.aspx?id=24#rates-sc
Closing date: 31 March 2023 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada, and Canadian citizens and Permanent residents abroad.
If you have experience in any of the following positions, apply today!
Possible positions could include the following:
SO-FLP-04- Barge Master
SO-MAO-03- Class A Vessel Pool Chief Engineer; Relief Engineer; Yardcraft Master; First Officer- Glen Tug
SO-MAO-04- Class A Vessel Pool Master
SO-MAO-05- Chief Engineer- Glen Tugs
SO-MAO-06- Tug Master; Vessel Master
SO-MAO-10- QHM Pilot
SC-DED-05- Maintenance Deckhand, Supervisor
SC-DED-04- Maintenance Deckhand
Update: Our email contact has changed as of 28 April 2022. Any inquiries regarding this staffing process should be directed to: GeneralInquiriesandAdvertisedProcess-Demandesderenseignementsgenerauxetprocessusannonce@forces.gc.ca
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Applying to this inventory is a way to connect with hiring managers who are looking for qualified Tradespersons. Apply Today!
How does this work?
Step 1: Let us know you’re interested! Click “Apply online”.
Step 2: Tell us about you! Attach your resume and answer the screening questions in the online application.
Step 3: We will carefully review all of your qualifications. If your talent matches one of our immediate or upcoming opportunities we may contact you for further information or assessment.
Creating an environment where diverse perspectives are valued begins with self-declaration. Count yourself in and self-declare by identifying to which employment equity group(s) you belong to. In order to self-declare, please ensure to indicate this by checking off the appropriate box within the online application as part of the Employment Equity section.
- Are you looking for new and exciting opportunities as a Ships’ Officer or Ship’s Crew? Have you just graduated from a marine training college? Are you a serving or retired Canadian Armed Forces member? Then look no further!
- We are seeking a Ship’s Officer and Ship’s Crew who would enjoy a challenging work experience in a dynamic environment. Embarking on this journey will provide you with a stable career in which your marine expertise is valued while allowing you to maintain work/life balance. You will work as part of a diverse team on a variety of vessels to facilitate collective objectives in support of the National Defence Team.
On top of completing valuable work that directly benefits Canada’s Pacific and Atlantic Naval Fleet, you will also enjoy the many benefits of working for the Department of National Defence (DND):
- complementary fitness facilities and pools;
- paid training and reimbursement of tuition for approved training;
- dirty work pay;
- allowances for meals;
- allowance for Nuclear Response Team members;
- one of the best pension plans in Canada with comprehensive dental/ medical benefits.
- Applicants who are serving or former military, when you transition into the Federal Public Service, your pensionable time and earned vacation credits will be recognized.
This inventory may be used by the Department of National Defence to fill immediate short term vacancies (90 calendar days or less than 3 month term) in various locations.
We may also use this inventory to fill future vacancies with various employment tenures (temporary and permanent), security requirements, and conditions of employment.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
For all positions:
Depending on the position to be staffed, occupational certifications may be required. These could include:
- Valid Transport Canada Certificate of Competency as Marine Engineer, Fourth Class Motor or higher; or
- Valid British Columbia Fourth Class (or higher) Power Engineering Certificate with STCW Basic Safety training or domestic Marine Emergency Duties A1 and B2
Requirements Specific to Ship’s Officer Positions (SO- Marine Engineer positions only):
Recent* related** marine engineering experience
- Recent is define as within the last three (3) years.
** Related experience may be obtained through a minimum of one (1) year of sea service working on a vessel or floating industrial barge OR one (1) year service in a shore-based marine operations, maintenance, repair, training or related facility.
Requirements Specific to Ship’s Crew Positions:
Experience working in the marine industry as a deckhand or oiler, or an equivalent military naval occupation or trade.
Asset Experience and Certification for Ship’s Officer Positions:
- Watchkeeping or Command experience within the last five (5) years related to the position.
- Experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of steam and diesel marine machinery;
- Experience in the repair and maintenance of marine machinery;
- Experience overseeing vessel refits and machinery overhauls;
- Experience in supervision;
- Experience working with government or commercial repair facilities and contractors;
- Experience working with vessel Planned Maintenance Systems;
- Experience performing inspections and trials on vessels and marine machinery;
- Experience working with a budget under the Federal Financial Administration Act;
- Experience operating harbour tugs;
- Experience in towing;
- Experience operating small vessels;
- Experience with pollution control equipment and/or counter measures.
- MED STCW Advanced Firefighting Course;
- Transport Canada Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP);
- Radio Operator Certificate-Maritime Commercial (ROC-MC);
- Valid Transport Canada Certificate of Competency Master 500 GT Domestic or higher
- Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) 95 Compliance
- Bridge Resource Management (BRM) Training Certificate;
- Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) Training Certificate;
- Current Marine Advanced First Aid Certificate;
- Valid Transport Canada Certificate of Competency Chief Mate, Near Coastal or higher with (STCW)
Asset Experience and Certifications for Ship’s Crew Positions:
- Engine room experience as an Oiler or Motorman;
- Experience working with an environmental response team in the marine environment;
- Experience as a Rigger;
- Experience as an oiler or deckhand on tugboat;
- Experience in the maintenance, repair, and operation of marine machinery or equipment;
- Experience performing maintenance, repair or fabrication work in a commercial or industrial environment;
- Experience operating, maintaining, or working aboard small vessels;
- Experience in supervision.
- Possession of an Able Seaman’s Certificate
- Possession of a Bridge Watchman’s Certificate
- Cadet Programs (Deck or Engine)
- Possession of an Engine Room Assistant’s Certificate
- Small Vessel Machinery Operator (SVMO)
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP)
For all positions:
- Experience working or volunteering in a mixed public service and military environment
Information on language requirements
- Demonstrating integrity and respect.
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented.
- Thinking things through.
- Working effectively with others.
Selection may be limited to members of the following Employment Equity groups: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women
Information on employment equity
The Department of National Defence is committed to providing an environment where justice, fairness and the elimination of barriers helps build a skilled, diverse and representative workforce reflective of Canada. We welcome diversity in all its forms, promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply. Please note that preference for hiring will first be given to candidates who are members of the above mentioned designated groups.
In support of Strong, Secure, Engaged (SSE) initiative #24, consideration may be given to the spouses or common-law partners of CAF members.
Reliability Status security clearance - Various security levels - (we will help you attain this during the hiring process)
Other conditions of employment may be required for some positions. These conditions will be communicated to the candidates considered for that specific appointment. They may include:
- Possession of a Transport Canada Marine Medical Certificate.
- Must meet the medical requirements of Health Canada in accordance with the Treasury Board guidelines.
- Possession of a valid Provincial driver's license
- Must be available to work unexpected and scheduled overtime as required
- Wearing of safety footwear and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is mandatory
Managers may establish conditions of employment specific to the position being staffed. Candidates must meet and maintain the conditions of employment throughout their employment.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Applications will only remain active in the system for 90 days. The system will send you an application expiry warning 14 days before your application expires. It will be your responsibility to update your application to ensure it remains active and is considered for future assessment.
1. Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice.
2. All information obtained throughout the selection process, from the time of application to close of process, may be used to evaluate the candidates.
3. A variety of assessment tools may be used. This may include application screening, interviews, role play scenarios, recorded presentation, written assessments, reference checks, board knowledge and interactions with internal staff during the process.
4. A random and/or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process
5. Additional qualifications, and/or Operational Requirements, may be required for some positions and you may be contacted and asked to submit information or to be further assessed.
6. Asset qualifications can be invoked as essential qualifications as identified by the hiring manager
7. Appointment decisions may be based on one or more of the following criteria:
a. Matching of the individual's experience or qualifications to the strengths and weaknesses of the work team;
b. Matching of the individual's experience or qualifications to the specific duties of the position being staffed;
c. Depth, breadth, type of work-specific experience;
d. Level/degree of one or more competencies/qualifications; and
e. Organizational needs, including Employment Equity
8. Our organization will only accept on-line applications for this opportunity. Please click “Apply online” to submit your application. Should you have a disability or an exceptional circumstance that requires an alternative application method, please contact us for guidance.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.