You are driven by your entrepreneurial spirit, passion for design, quick response and determination to build new business. As an experienced interior designer, you thrive in creating and selling solutions that improve the human experience. Your dream job includes the following;
- Insight selling of industry leading product and service combinations you believe in,
- A seat at the table where you can strategically solve and influence buying decisions as a trusted advisor,
- Work in an intellectually stimulating and meaningful industry,
- Planning, coordinating and hosting marketing events,
- Great compensation with incentive plan to grow,
- A team that will support you in your growth.
We are Contemporary Office Interiors, and this is where you belong.
As a privately-owned Herman Miller Certified Dealer with the largest exclusive distribution in western Canada we prioritize people, productivity and value to create more than a place to work— we create a space to succeed.
Leading with a modern mindset we are committed to innovation and powerful design to help our customers prepare for change and a better future. We work for the health and wellbeing of our customers, our employees, the environment, and the community. We do all this by providing furnishings and related services that improve the human experience, wherever people work, heal, learn, and live. In the end, the solutions we invent help our customers’ organizations (and our own) perform better.
We’re looking to hire an experienced business developer with a passion for interior design to add to our business development sales team focused on the Architecture & Design as well as Commercial Real Estate audiences, and we hope our search ends with you.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES
The primary accountability of the Business Development Manager A&D and CRE is to lead the charge in selling the dealership’s product and services through knowledge sharing to Architecture, Design and Commercial Real Estate influencers to get our products specified and uncover new business opportunities. Using your strong industry knowledge, service excellence, business development and presentation skills you will leverage your established networks of industry influencers including commercial real estate, contractors, project managers and A&D to build relationship for the dealership through event planning, coordination and hosting to uncover leads and ultimately close business achieving assigned sales targets.
You are confident interacting at higher levels of an organization. Your entrepreneurial drive, resourceful nature and background in interior design allows you to support customers with the many tricky decisions that come along, keeping their projects on track. Your in-depth knowledge of their business and needs from your extensive research will win you a seat at the table as a trusted advisor in conceptual planning and design discussions. You will lead all aspects of the sales process from conceptualization, solution development, quoting, product application and specification with the goal of achieving your sales targets. Your clients will know how their project is progressing in relation to key timelines.
These are complex sales, where you’ll manage competing priorities, multiple internal and external stakeholders, and varying deliverables. Your adaptability, resilience and experience in a similarly complex sales environment will be crucial for your success here. The number of projects you’ll have on the go at any given time will vary depending on their size and scope. The team you’ll join is collaborative and successful.
A&D Marketing and Lead Generation
- Generates early stage leads by effectively building “raving fans” within your industry influencer group focused on commercial real estate brokers, A&D community and industry organizations—IFMA, BOMA, NAIOP etc. Works with all A&D firms in the marketplace; knows most senior leads in the major and many of the smaller firms
- Works to get A&D firms to COI / Herman Miller promotional events, open houses; leads COI/ Herman Miller team to plan and put on those events; visits A&D firms on a regular basis
- Makes persuasive presentations to A&D firms on dealership’s products and services—in person, through written/graphic documentation and by electronic means/ works to get COI and COI's products specified on bids, and for opportunities for selling that don't require bidding
- Follows up on all potential leads from A&D firms; works to get COI's products specified in A&D client requests for bid documents
- Develops written marketing plan with sales goals, target firms, schedule of promotional events, ideas for promotional materials, etc.
- Is sensitive to the A&D community's sense of style and design
- Works closely with dealership's manufacturer representatives and corporate account groups to target opportunities for sales
A&D, CRE and Customer Account Servicing
- Is extremely prompt and accommodating in getting A&D and CRE teams the pricing, budget information, product specifications, fabric/material samples etc. that are requested or needed for their firms' client work
- Is available, responsive and timely to customer inquiries, requests for information and/or quotations, problem resolution, etc. Provides frequent and regular follow-up contact with customer regarding after sale services and information, including customer satisfaction
- Works closely with the COI's manufacturer's factories to get the A&D firm and staff the special information they may need including custom solutions, C.O.M. approvals
- Conducts a professional, cooperative interface and provides frequent and regular follow-up with the A&D and CRE firm and team
- Understands the A&D and CRE business, economics and time constraints; treats the firms as a customer, and provides services and information that supports the A&D and CRE firm's business goals
- Assists accounting in resolving any late receivables or customer credit issues
- Arranges loaner product for customer trial
- Assists with resolving any acknowledgement discrepancies with vendor
- Ensures customer first standards of performance are met for all customer work activities
- Attend site meetings when required
- Focused on creating opportunities, networking and engaging new leads. Ensures support team is well informed to deliver the administrative aspect of the process and works cooperatively with dedicated team members to achieve annual sales goals and business objectives.
- Attends sales, team and customer meetings as required and participates in all relevant training opportunities.
- Submits weekly sales forecasts for pipeline review along with business plan for growth
- Qualifies leads into potential customers; does thorough need analysis focused on knowledge to understand client’s requirements
- Makes persuasive knowledge-based presentations to customers on dealership’s insights, products and services—in person, through graphical electronic means
- Develops detailed, accurate and professional looking quotes through own effort with the support of a project manager and presents these to the customer in a timely manner
- Works with service departments to develop service contracts to present to customer when complex services are sold (design, for instance) or for major projects (installation, design, project management
- A university or college degree preferably in business, interior design, or related discipline
Experience and Competencies:
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work under pressure managing multiple tasks.
- Experienced interior designer with a passion for sales
- Experience planning, coordinating and hosting events
- Experience in a transactional sales environment, managing a book of business
- Experience managing client relationships through projects
- Goal achievement, driven to succeed with the ability to identify practice activities that lead to a goal
- Presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively to individuals and groups
- Problem solving ability anticipate, analyze, diagnose, and resolve problems
- Time management, the ability to effectively and efficiently manage time
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Experience using design software (CET, AutoCAD, CAP2020)
- Experience using MS Suite for data analysis and communication (Excel, Outlook)
- Requires excellent word processing skills, basic Excel and PowerPoint knowledge.
- Action orientated, well organized, with strong interpersonal and solid communication skills capable of influencing others to affect successful outcomes.
- Strong business acumen which includes judgement and the ability to manage human, financial and information resources effectively.
- Ability to quickly gain extensive knowledge and understanding of COI, its products, services, business operations as well as its industry and marketplace opportunities
- Experience working in the contract office furniture industry is an asset
The Right Fit:
We care about who you are as much as what you’ve done. You’re a great fit for this opportunity because you’re:
- Strategic – you’re always thinking several moves ahead, adding value every step of the way to win an even larger share of customer spend.
- Entrepreneurial – you know our industry inside out and can exploit your knowledge to create new opportunities.
- Confident – you can interact at a higher level of an organization with ease
- Resourceful and Adaptive – you enroll peers to support you in achieving your goals and adapt your methods to suit the situations needs
- Resilient – you can recover quickly from set backs, mapping a new course forward
- Organized – you can multi-task without dropping anything, because you have systems and a mind for details.
- Open – you share your thoughts freely, collaborate well, and welcome feedback on your work.
- An exceptional communicator – you are service orientated adjusting your style to suit your audience and achieve clarity in every medium.
Above all, you care. The outcomes matter deeply to you, and those include the project success, the bottom-line impact, and the relationships you build along the way.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required.
This is a full-time permanent position, working out of our impeccably designed and furnished office. You’ll mostly work from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, with irregular or extended hours as projects demand. 50% of your time will be in the office, and the rest of the time will be on-site meeting with firms and clients.
Salary will be a combination of competitive base and commissions commensurate with experience.
We offer competitive health benefits, wellness and healthcare spending accounts, and a holiday package that includes an extra week between Christmas and New Year’s off. You’ll also be getting in as we grow so growth opportunities abound if you exhibit the knowledge, expertise and passion to grow with the organization.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
It comes down to the people – they make this a great place to work.
Our Vancouver branch is vibrant and close-knit. We have a positive, supportive team based culture that enjoys connecting, as well as working together. When someone needs some help, we all pitch in to get the job done.
There’s a deep sense of belonging here – people can bring their whole selves to work, which frees us to do our best work. Challenges are faced together, and successes are celebrated.
This is the special opportunity you’ve been looking for, we hope you’ll join us.
Job Types: Full-time, Commission
- business development: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)