Position: Program Operations Assistant Manager
Reports to: Program Director, dotted line to Program Operations Manager
Start Date: April 8, 2019
Hours and Location: Part-time (estimated 30-38 hours per week), Seasonal (April - October), on Cortes Island
Wage: $20-$22 / hour
Hollyhock exists to inspire, nourish, and support people making the world better. Hollyhock has been transforming North American society for over 37 years. From our humble beginnings in 1982 as a project of Greenpeace founders and human potential movement leaders, Hollyhock catalyzes connection, personal growth, and progressive social change. We run about 100 programs and conferences per year on our Cortes Island campus and in Vancouver, BC.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Program Operations Assistant Manager (POAM) works with the Program Operations Manager (POM) to ensure the the smooth on-site operations of all aspects of the Hollyhock Program Department throughout the 7 day-a-week program season.
You are detail-oriented, mature, professional and passionate about Hollyhock’s mission. You possess substantial administrative experience in an office environment, as well as demonstrated initiative and excellent decision-making, communication, and organizational skills. You complete tasks to strict deadlines, while also adapting to changing priorities. Experience in event production, with an understanding of social innovation, leadership, and progressive movements are all assets for this position. You are legally able to work in Canada and enjoy living in a rural island setting.
Presenters & Programs
- Establish and maintain communications with Presenters before, during and after their programs, to ensure an excellent program & overall campus experience (shared with POM).
- Manage Presenter Evening production, promotion and volunteer staffing needs, and perform hosting duties (shared with POM).
- Conduct Presenter sign-out meetings (shared with POM) and provide information to Program Planning Manager.
- Administer feedback forms to Presenters and program participants and respond to any issues (Program or campus related) arising from them (shared with POM).
- Maintain and update Program Presenter files (shared with POM).
- Resolve any onsite program issues (shared with POM).
- Assist in supervising the Production Coordinator (along with the POM) and provide ongoing feedback and support
- Ensure Naturalists, Yogis, and other activity providers offer the highest level of guest service, in a safe and timely manner, with the tools and supplies needed to perform their duties (shared with POM).
- Host Hollyhock Orientations (shared with POM) for incoming guests and Presenters on arrival days.
- Attend Campus Manager meetings from time-to-time
- Attend monthly Program Operations safety meetings
- Provide access and guidance on important presenter and program information to all other departments as required (shared with POM).
- Communicate volunteer residents & host support needs for programs, special events, Oyster BBQ’s and Presenter Evenings with the Host/RSP Manager and provide training when required.
- Inform Housekeeping Manager of special program and Presenter accommodation needs.
- Provide access/post updated program schedule and Activities Calendar information to all departments in a timely manner, checking for details and accuracy. (shared with POM)
- Confirm special book/stock requests with Store & Bodywork Manager in advance of program and special events.
- Support Program Operations Manager and Conference & Groups Manager as needed.
- Other duties as required
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Leads with calm, accuracy and remains solutions-focused in a busy environment
- Able to work morning or afternoon shifts that will vary from week to week
- Able to work some weekends, nights, early mornings as scheduled/required
- Previous experience managing others
- Demonstrated initiative and excellent decision-making and communication skills
- Experience in negotiations
- Ability to direct/assist with the safe setup of Program spaces (as needed), including repetitive lifting of chairs, backjacks, and other supplies
- Ability to complete tasks to tight deadlines and adapt to new and sometimes stressful situations as they arise
- Background in marketing and event coordination a strong asset
- Enjoys regular public speaking
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s licence
- Experience with G-Suite (Gmail, GDrive, Calendar, etc), WordPress
- Comfortable with tech platforms such as Zoom, Slack, and Asana
To apply, please send the following:
- 200 word (max) cover letter
The subject line of the email should be “Program Operations Assistant Manager – First Name Last Name” (e.g. if your name is Alex Bee, the subject line would be “Program Operations Assistant Manager – Alex Bee”)
Please note: only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Hollyhock is committed to creating a fair and respectful environment that protects and promotes human rights. Hollyhock believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 to $22.00 /hour