Pclass # SS093
This position is responsible for assisting classroom instructors, managers and other support staff in the trades areas by performing a wide variety of duties including administrative support, preparing and setting up shop projects, providing guidance to students, and coordinating facility tours and events.
1. Provides administrative support, which includes responding to questions from students, other departments and external agencies; drafting correspondence; maintaining department meeting minutes; word processing instructional material, exams, documents and reports; preparing orientation packages for various programs; distributing and collecting examinations and updating the department website.
2. Prepares purchase requisitions for supplies, parts and equipment for instructional needs as requested.
3. Supervises shop activity in the absence of the instructor; responds to student queries; offers advice and assistance relative to techniques, procedures and methodologies; and maintains student records relative to shop performance.
4. Maintains and troubleshoots shop training aids and equipment.
5. Prepares and sets up shop projects and constructs training aids for the departmental programs.
6. Maintains and updates a wide variety of records including student marks, apprenticeship documentation, and ELT enrollment, test files and exams, distribution of marks and monthly financial reports.
7. Maintains student absence registry, course material and schedules, timetables, class lists, promotional materials program/department advertising materials, forms, reports and routine correspondence.
8. Coordinates facility tours and events, organizes and maintains materials and equipment for internal and external promotional events.
9. Acts as a liaison with external organizations such as the Apprenticeship Board, Skills Canada and with industry contacts.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 plus Red Seal Certification in Heavy Duty Equipment or other related trades program and including over one years related experience working with heavy mechanical equipment and welding and cutting experience or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience may be substituted for the required qualifications.
- Forklift 1-4-5 certification required.
- Proficiency in the operation of Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook).
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, safety, methods, tools and equipment relative to the particular trade.
- Computer experience with proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Good oral and written communication skills with business English.
- Ability to supervise students and student aides.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
Salary Range - Prorated based on FTE
PAYGRADE 23 – $912.07 to $1,068.57 bi-weekly.
Posting Detail Information
Employment Group Support Staff (CUPE)
Type of Position Permanent
Employment Type Part Time
Department HEAVY DUTY/COMMER TRANSPORT DEPT
Primary Location - This position may require you to work at all VCC locations. Annacis Island
Is this posting only for internal applicants?
Desired Start Date - May be subject to change 02/01/2020
Position End Date - For Temporary Positions
Vacation Blackout Dates
Number of Hours per Week 21 during week one and 14 during week two
Work Schedule - Hours may vary according to the needs of the Department
The hours of work are 7:30 am to 3:00 pm and the work schedule alternates on a two week cycle.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Tuesday and Thursday
However, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Eligible for Fortnight No
Special Instructions to Applicant
Vancouver Community College is committed to maintaining a work force that represents the diverse community we serve and we encourage all qualified applicants.
Posting Open Date 01/21/2020
Posting Close Date 02/04/2020
Is this a pooled posting? No