This posting is for 1 temporary, part-time position for approximately 11 months
The Accounting Assistant II is responsible for ensuring that all payroll-related functions for Transit are processed accurately, on time, and in accordance with federal and provincial legislation, corporate policies, and procedures, with minimal supervision.
This position also produces year-to-date financial reporting and analysis and provides orientation sessions for all new Transit employees.
- Enter the base bus operator payroll as per sign-up pay sheets for each bi-weekly pay period ensuring accuracy
- Enter all exceptions for bus operators based on daily dispatch pay sheets. Review and resolve all inconsistencies and errors
- Enter all time sheets and timecards from salary, part-time, and hourly staff ensuring accuracy and supervisor signatures
- Review bi-weekly reports for accuracy and make corrections as necessary
- Meet with cost centre supervisors as required to review year to date position on salary
- Prepare tri-annual salary and employee benefit reports, including variance analysis, and forward to the Coordinator/Finance for tri-annual financial meetings
- Complete any ad-hoc reporting as required
- Analyze the salary report from Corporate Finance for accuracy of employees’ pay grades
- Orient new employees on corporate and departmental payroll and employee benefits processes for the purpose of ensuring they are informed
- Comply with corporate human resource documentation and processes
- Other duties required for the purpose of meeting department goals and objectives
Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles, internal controls, and continuous process improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively, professionally and clearly with others
- Must possess excellent analytical and multitasking skills while keeping a high priority on excellent customer service, attention to detail and adhering to tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail while maintaining strict confidentiality in all areas of the job
- Able to work and participate within a team environment
- The ability to analyze problems and develop solutions independently with minimal supervision
- Experience using JD Edwards (RIS) software
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint, Questica, and Insight software applications
- High School Diploma plus 5 years related experience
- Completion of or working towards Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certificate from the Canadian Payroll Association
- Municipal government experience an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #298-2021-EXT-*TRN* closes September 19, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $49,850.00-$62,317.00 per year
Work Location: Multiple Locations