WATT Consulting Group (WATT) is seeking a junior-level Transportation Engineer to join our team in our growing Vancouver,Victoria or Okanagan offices. We are looking for a dynamic individual committed to high-quality professional work, meeting the needs of our clients, and working with our multi-disciplinary team to create vibrant and livable communities.
About the Role
LOCATION: Vancouver, Victoria or Okanagan
The Transportation Engineer will be involved in a wide range of multi-modal transportation projects. The primary responsibility will be to assist Senior Transportation Engineers or one of our Regional Leads on various elements of transportation projects. The role will also involve providing transportation engineering assistance to other members of our integrated team in both advisory and support roles. This position has plenty of room for career and personal growth. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
· Apply technical transportation engineering expertise in the areas of multi-modal road safety, network and intersection analysis using modelling software, transportation/traffic impact assessments, parking studies, traffic signals, active transportation planning and facility design, complete street design, transit planning, and functional road design.
· Work on projects of all sizes in small, medium and large sized communities across Western Canada.
· Prepare written materials to document project working including letters, memos, and reports. The ability to prepare graphics to supplement reports is an asset.
· Attend client, community and Council meetings, and present / communicate technical information in an understandable manner.
· Ability to work on multiple projects at one time for multiple project managers.
· Field work including data collection and site inspections, as well as assisting with open houses and other public engagement activities for projects.
· Support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients
· Explore and develop technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
· Short day trips within the Metro Vancouver and Vancouver Island/Coastal BC regions may be required. There may also be potential for travel to support projects within Western Canada.
· Other duties as required.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
· A registered member or the ability to become a member of the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
· Equivalent combination of experience and education as a transportation technologist may be considered.
· Three (3) or more years of transportation engineering experience, preferably focused in any/all of the following areas: safety audits, active transportation planning and design, traffic impact assessments, traffic management plans, signal timing, and traffic modeling. Candidates with previous consulting experience would be considered an asset.
· Experience in the following supporting areas is an asset: parking management, transportation demand management (TDM), transit analysis and operations, transportation infrastructure conceptual design, and civil design.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
· Experience with key technical manuals applicable in BC, including some or all of the following: TAC Geometric Design Guide, BC Supplement to TAC Guide, MUTCDC, the BC Active Transportation Design Guide, NACTO Design Guides, BC MoTI Signage and Pavement Marking manual, and MMCD, would be considered an asset.
· Possess working knowledge of transportation engineering related software such as Synchro/SimTraffic, SIDRA, and HCS. Knowledge of VISUM and/or VISSIM is considered an assest.
· Familiarity with municipal development / planning processes, would be considered an asset.
· A valid BC Drivers’ License.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, Edmonton, and Lloydminster. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” - these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our Vancouver office, located at the corner of Hornby and Dunsmuir, is situated along the AAA bicycle network, is a 2-minute walk the Expo and Canada SkyTrain lines, and is an 8-minute walk from Waterfront Station. Our dynamic office has a passion for sustainable transportation. Our building features bike storage rooms, showers, and we provide a corporate Modo carshare membership for work trips.
Our Victoria office is centrally located and easily accessed by walking, bike, transit or by car. Our building features bike storage rooms, showers, electric vehicle charging, daycare, coffee shop, and we provide a corporate Modo carshare membership for work trips.
Our Okanagan office is located in downtown Westbank within West Kelowna, 15 minutes from Downtown Kelowna and a kilometer from Lake Okanagan.
Our offices hold regular social events that bring together team members and their families. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
Our individual offices have smaller dymanic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with more than 20 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livablility. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transprotation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
Are you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization? D you share our passion for creating vibrant and livable communities? We'd love to hear from you!
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Permanent