Our client is a highly regarded, Canadian-owned specialty retailer with 29 locations across British Columbia. The organization has cultivated a family-team environment by offering unique customer service, promoting healthy lifestyles, and providing rewarding careers. Our client is looking for an experienced Finance Lead with an entrepreneurial drive who is comfortable acting as a change agent in order to elevate the accounting and finance function of the company. This role encompasses the duties of a traditional Finance Lead position but requires an individual who is able to execute financial and data analysis to advise and support strategic decision-making. Located in Richmond, BC, the company has created an unwavering people first culture that is customer focused and community oriented. If you have a passion for creating impact, strong experience in finance and accounting in the retail industry and want to be a part of an incredible team, we want to talk to you!
A Day in the life of the Finance Lead: role and responsibilities
Combining their technical accounting expertise, financial analysis know-how, communication skills, the Finance Lead is responsible for leading and administering all aspects of the company’s accounting functions, while also driving strong overall financial performance improvements by utilizing their data analytics skills and available business intelligence tools. As a senior leader of the organization,
- You will manage and provide leadership to your team and will oversee all financial operations including AR/AP, compliance, forecasting and bid and contract review.
- You assist in formulating the company's financial future direction; supporting tactical initiatives and company growth.
- You will provide key financial analysis to shape management decisions, inform leadership on the strategic direction of the organization.
- You will use your financial analysis, and SQL skills to pull useful information and reports from the ERP database and other business intelligence tools.
- You will lead the near- and long-term budgeting and forecasting process and coach managers in the financial acumen necessary to lead their lines of business.
- You will develop and monitor department and organization KPI’s used to gauge performance in terms of meeting strategic and operational goals.
- You will act as a change agent, evaluating the current processes and procedures of the accounting team, developing process efficiency improvements, championing and implementing these improvements amongst the team and organization.
- Responsible to ensure all CRA related documentation is submitted correctly and in a timely manner.
The Fine Print
- You will maintain a focus on bookkeeping, processing transactions, and reconciling balances. This includes preparation of accounting and financial statements, monthly accounting close, process and reconciliation of GL & Sub ledgers, and processing accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- You operate an efficient and effective accounting/finance function providing a variety of services to the business such as financial planning, budgeting and analysis, treasury, tax, and other finance operations as directed.
- You oversee the company's transaction processing systems.
- You continuously look to enhance procedures and processes within the accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls which you direct.
- You will be responsible and driven to implement financial operational best practices.
- Oversee financial systems as well as any required implementations and upgrades.
Compliance and Reporting
- You proactively monitor lines of credit and cash flow, providing regular analysis and communication to the President.
- You continually enhance reporting and dashboards to communicate financial results.
- You are comfortable pulling data from BI tools and ERPs using SQLs to generate reports with pertinent and applicable information to inform business decisions.
- You will be accountable for leading the financial reporting and compliance for the organization.
- Responsible to ensure all CRA related documentation is submitted correctly and in a timely manner. pertinent
- You coordinate preparation for external audits, ensuring proper maintenance of accounting records and documentation are in compliance with statutory requirements and company policies.
- You will establish internal control guidelines and monitor compliance and efficiencies of controls.
- You will be responsible for ensuring security, integrity, and confidentiality of data.
- Managing and providing mentorship to your team, you will directly oversee and support the finance and accounting team.
- You provide leadership to financial operations and oversee filings with financial organizations, support of contract negotiations, and execution of key transactions.
- You will hire, train, and retain skilled accounting and finance staff.
- You will manage relationships with investors and investment institutions.
- You maintain banking relationships and arrange for debt and equity financing.
- You build relationships and alliances, internal and external, and develop an understanding of situations and culture within the organization to identify opportunities.
- You will create purposeful financial statements and provide timely trend analysis (monthly/quarterly/annually) utilizing SQL knowledge to pull data from ERP/business intelligence tools.
- You will lead the near- and long-term budgeting process and coach managers in the financial acumen necessary to lead their lines of business.
- You provide a breakdown of costs for different segments and develop costing models in accordance with 12-month initiatives.
- Identify and manage business risks and insurance requirements.
- You will be responsible for ensuring financial objectives are met by preparing annual and 5-year budgets, planning the expenditures, analyzing variances, and carrying out necessary corrections that may arise.
Financial Analytics and Strategy
- You will elevate the finance function and provide key financial analysis to shape management decisions and inform leadership on the strategic direction of the organization.
- You will pull and manipulate data from the existing ERP database to provide useful reports and information, financial analysis, and strategic guidance.
- Exercise a focus on value creation, acting as a business advisor and providing insight to support decision making and maintaining professional relationships with customers and vendors.
- You proactively monitor the bottom line and deliver EBITDA analysis to guide strategic planning.
- You provide financial analysis, interpretation of variances from budgets and standards, and advice to management.
- You proactively provide insight and guidance to manage overhead expenditures.
Requirements – what you bring to the company:
- 5+ years of progressive experience in a finance leadership role or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Professional Accounting Designation such as CPA/CFA preferred.
- Experience working with and creating reports from business intelligence tools (i.e. Power BI, Crystal reports, or Hyperion).
- Experience with and understanding of Structured Query Language (SQL) to query database and generate reports.
- Must understand the database structure of an ERP i.e. the tables.
- Previous experience with Great Plains (GP10) is considered an asset.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Technical accounting expertise, and a good foundation in hands-on transactional accounting.
- Full cycle accounting experience (ie preparing journal entries, working papers, financial statements, notes, lead sheets, etc.).
- Experience in audit and internal controls.
- An advanced understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles.
- Experience developing and implementing business processes.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to champion change in business processes and culture.
- Passion for developing people and teams. Ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills.
- Experience in a multi-location environment preferred.
- Experience in retail industry is considered an asset.
Our “must haves” that make you great:
- You possess a strong sense of urgency and business acumen..
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit and you execute like an owner.
- You are a true collaborator with exceptional people and leadership skills.
- You strive for efficiency and process improvements.
- You are empathetic and approachable with an ability to partner with and influence management.
- You have proven work ethic with utmost integrity.
- You pride yourself on your attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
- You are dedicated to growing the operations by building successful relationships with customers and clients.
- You possess self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-improvement, goal oriented.
- You are able to work well independently and under pressure.
- Great culture, high growth, collaborative environment.
- Compensation for this role includes competitive base salary based on experience.
- The position is eligible for performance-based salary increases & bonuses.
- Comprehensive benefits package including retirement, extended medical, dental, disability.
- Work-life integration including flexible holidays and personal time to maintain balance.
- Exciting career with professional on-gong development.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Temporarily due to COVID-19