We operate a number of divisions, performing everything from painting to complete home renovation, and, from Christmas lighting installations to erecting "kit" gazebos and saunas for retail partners. We build fences and decks, and, custom "ground up" sheds, and, garages. We deliver and install backyard lifestyle goods to our clients. We also build our own line of artisinal western red cedar gazebos, and, do extensive concrete work, and a lot more for our discerning clients and our retail partners.
We are looking for one or more carpenters / general tradesmen, or small crews (2-3 people), to work with us on decks, fences, gazebos, garages, sheds, and interior renovations, etc... primarily in high-end residential settings. Often these jobs also involve some of our other work as well.
These jobs are typically 1 to 14 day projects, but a whole basement could be up to 3 months. For this type of work, we normally travel within about 1 hour of Hamilton, however, for some jobs with clients in other areas, we would provide hotel accommodations, and, a fuel and travel allowance.
We are normally very busy from April through November.
There are high points and low points, however, for most of the year you would get FT hours, with about 2-3 months of the year with "PT" hours, but, we do our best to keep you busy. If you are flexible, more hours are available: if you have other trades skills besides concrete finishing, we can likely use you for other projects as well; we try very hard to keep all of our people busy and working, for as much of the year as possible.
Please only apply if you enjoy working outside, and don't mind driving a bit to sites. You will need your own reliable transportation; ideally, a pick-up truck or van. Our company trucks are available for materials runs, etc...
We are looking for long-term, stable staff, who CARE about customer service, quality, and, who take pride in their workmanship. Those who are "Prima-donnas," consider themselves "better" than others, or, those who do not work well with others in multi-trade environments or larger sites need not apply. We are only interested in STRONG TEAM PLAYERS, whose primary interests are always in providing superior customer service, quality workmanship, and, who cares about or company, and, our entire team. It is "cliche," but, we believe there is no "i" in "teamwork." If a customer has a need, we want to hear "how can I help?" coming from our people as a response.
Who is our ideal candidate? Does this sound like you?
1. Your own reliable vehicle, or, the ability to get to sites is a must.
It is not required, but, we can also discuss allowing you to drive our vehicles; however, if you are going to drive our company vehicle, you MUST have full G Ontario driver's licence, with CLEAN driver's abstract (no at fault collisions, and, no serious moving violations on record); you will e required to pull a driver's abstract for us (not more than one ticket on your file, with no suspensions). If you are able to use your own vehicle for jobs (you have a light truck, van, etc... then this is not applicable or required).
1a. We operate some large / heavy equipment such as mini-excavators, dump trailers, bucket lift trucks large concrete saws, tampers, jack hammers, and, box trucks for SOME jobs. It is NOT a requirement, however, experience using / operating these types of equipment would certainly be an asset to us.
2. Not required, but, if you are driving our vehicles, you should be able to drive a pick-up, van, cube van, or, man-lift bucket truck, with or without a trailer... again, only if you are driving our vehicles; we have float trailers, for transporting equipment like mini excavators, dump trailers, bucket lift trucks, and, cube vans, etc...
3. You MUST have good "rough carpentry" skill creating sub-structures for decks, fences, framing, forming concrete, and, for building outdoor structures. Ideally, you can do finer work as well; counter installations, bathroom and basement renos. You should be "mechanically inclined," and, other skills such as flooring, drywall, tiling, painting, etc... are always appreciated.
4. You should have your own complete set of hand tools. All "major" / large equipment can be provided on loans; we have anything needed.
5. Ideally, you will have a valid working at heights certificate, fall-arrest training, and, "man-lift" training from a provincially recognized training school, or, be willing to get this training while working with us - just in case. This is needed to do exterior painting, build taller structures, or, to help us hang Christmas lighting. If you do not have this yet, we can arrange for training.
6. Superior customer service skills, absolute honesty, and integrity are the "baseline" for us, and, are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED. Liars do not last long with us.
7. You must be able to read, write, and, communicate effectively in ENGLISH.
8. Additional "trades" skills such concrete finishing, roofing, siding, etc... are assets.
9. Ability to use email, and, simple computer or smartphone programs is a MUST; we operate computer apps/programs for most of our functions and back-end work.
10. You MUST be physically able to repeatedly lift loads of up to 75 lbs., be able to stand for long periods, be able to work in cold or hot environments, have at least "average" hearing, and, eyesight that is correctable to not less than 20/40 or 40/20 with glasses.
11. If you are driving our vehicles, you must be at least 25 years of age to qualify for our insurance. with a driving record as noted above.
12. Persons with criminal histories involving weapons, physical force (assault / sexual offences), or, ethical violations (theft / fraud), or driving while intoxicated will NOT be considered for this position. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for drug or alcohol usage or intoxication during working hours. Smoking any substance, or use of alcohol or other intoxicants is NOT permitted in any company vehicle, on company premises, or, on any client properties; this is rigorously enforced.
13. We offer hiring preference to Canadian military or police veterans (bless you all), women, aboriginal persons, older workers, and, others who may have job market disadvantages. As long as you meet your minimum requirements as outlined above, WE WANT YOU. We are open-minded, and, inclusive... again, "team environment." We are a FAMILY business; and we care about everyone who works with us.
UKRANIAN WAR REFUGEES ARE WELCOME TO APPLY; we support your cause.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent, Fixed term contract, Casual, Freelance, Seasonal, Apprenticeship, Internship / Co-op
Contract length: 6 months
Part-time hours: 30-50 per week
Salary: $25.00-$40.00 per hour
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
We have rigorous COVID safety policies in place. We can provide masks, sanitizers, etc...
- Clean driver's abstract with full G licence
- Own reliable transportation
- Secondary School (preferred)
- paid carpentry / trade: 2 years (required)
- Valid "Working at Heights" certificate (preferred)
- Valid "man-lift / mechanical lift" certificate (preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Application deadline: 2022-08-10
Expected start date: 2022-08-10