FarmLead is an online platform dedicated to grain trade. Based in Ottawa and active across Canada and the US, FarmLead is changing the way grain is bought and sold and helping farmers better market their crops.
We are a venture-backed start-up that is recognized as a key leader in the digitization of agriculture trade. Building on 4 years of successes in key grain market segments, 2 major versions of our platform, and a strong understanding how the grain sector will continue to evolve, we are now building and about to launch the next major evolution of our platform.
We are looking for candidates who are excited by the fast-pace of a start-up and enjoy working in a small and tight-knit team. As a product-centered organization actively developing and iterating our core platform, we encourage and expect you to take charge and be an owner, make mistakes and learn, figure things out as you go, and get the job done.
About the role
As a member of our product team, you are critical to ensuring we enable our users - farmers and grain buyers - with products that add value to their trade. If you’re looking for pixel pushing and round-about meetings to move a button, then this is not the role for you. We are looking to transform the grain trade.
Our approach to product is “hypothesis-driven”. We set a hypothesis about how we could solve for a business, user, or market problem, and as a team, we work together to come up with the right mix of assets and tests to prove our hypothesis, revise it, or scrap it entirely.
Within this, you'll be responsible for building interfaces that fit the needs of our broad range of customers.You’ll work closely with a Product Manager and an Interaction Designer. In addition, you will also be actively involved in the user research and user testing stages of our product development life cycle.
We encourage individuals to take ownership and believe that good designers need space to create and let their inner genius flow. You must be ready to articulate and defend your design decisions in a structured way. This means you’ll need to be confident and capable of selling your vision and thought process.
- Own and execute on User Research and User Testing activities
- Design within the demands of a LeanUX process
- Architect the experiential flows for a user
- Develop web flows and maintain a product site map
- Design user interfaces with user-centricity in mind
- Define the interaction types that should be used to maximize the user experience
- Develop and maintain all UX documentation related to the product design
- Coach and develop a team of designers
- Ability to deploy experiential design principles to align product and brand
- 5-7 Years of demonstrated experience in UX/UI Design
- 2-3 Years of demonstrated experience leading a UX/UI organization
- Demonstrated experience developing UX/UI assets (web flows, sitemaps, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience running user research activities and executing on user testing
- Conversational knowledge of Experiential Design
- Good visual design skills with proven portfolio/projects
- Strong skills in Sketch, Adobe Suite, Invision, Framer, or other Experience Design Tools
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to persuade
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive and flexible health benefits plan
- 4 weeks of paid vacation per year, increasing with seniority
- 1 week of paid personal leave per year
- Downtown Ottawa office, in the core of Centretown
- Easily accessible via transit, and equipped with showers and secure bike racks
- Monthly parking or commuter stipend
- Casual dress code
- Weekly company lunches and regular monthly activities
- Fun, collaborative work environment
- Visits to farms and farm shows to meet farmers and learn all about agriculture