Summary: To lead after school programming in neighbourhood schools in North East Scarborough including coordination of activities related to health, nutrition, homework support and more. The Program Facilitator/ Assistant works with other staff to ensure that program guidelines are followed and statistics are recorded regularly.
- Develop and implement an after school program that offers physical activities, homework support, healthy eating and nutrition education, wellness, as well as other activities that meet the needs of children in grades 1 to 8
- Lead a team of staff and volunteers to ensure that a program plan is in place and programs are implemented as per the Ministry’s guidelines
- Register participants for the program
- Liaise with school community (i.e. teachers, administrators, caretakers) and parents to ensure that the program operates smoothly
- Facilitate leadership development and discussion groups with older participates (grades 7 & 8)
- Work with partner agencies to offer activities to enhance the program
- Resolve issues that may arise with after-school staff, volunteers, participants, parents and school staff
- Ensure the space is clean and tidy at the conclusion of each day
- Create a playful, safe and inviting environment in the space being used for program participants
- Arrive before program starts to set-up and complete safety audit checklist
- Keep daily statistics on program attendance
- Provide written reports as required
- Consult with supervisor regarding any recommendations for new programs or improvements to enhance existing programs
- Ensure a quality program is delivered within the budget available
- Ensure required supplies for the program are available and submit requests for supplies as needed
- Ensure participation numbers are on target daily
- Promote program at school and community events
- Inquire about and inform managers of community/school events
Necessary Skills/Qualifications and other Requirements:
- Experience or education (or combination) in social service, education or community development in particular proven capacity to support youth around recreation, education or nutrition
- Experience in supervising staff and volunteers
- Experience working with children in grades 1 to 6 and 6 to 8 and their parents
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting.
- Experience with conflict resolution and problem-solving
- Ability to comply with policies regarding confidentiality, privacy and record keeping
- Standard First Aid and CPR required
- High Five Training required
- First Aid/CPR or a willingness to obtain prior to employment
- Food handling certificate required
- Criminal reference check is required
Salary, Location & Hours of Work:
- $15 to $16 per hour
- 10 - 12.5 hours every week during the after-school hours (Must be available Monday to Friday for 2 to 2.5 hours per day). Some evening work may be required.
- Contract is from September 2019 to June 2020 with the possibility of renewal for 2020/2021 school year at select schools.
- Training and orientation will take place during select days the week– candidates must be available
Accountability: Position will report to the Program Coordinator, Middle Years Centre
Malvern Family Resource Centre is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are contacted by MFRC regarding a job opportunity and need accommodation through the hiring process, please contact us at www.mfrc.org (This address is for accommodation inquiries ONLY. Resumes sent to this address will not be considered.)
Job Types: Part-time, Contract