Position / Title:
Forensic Structural and Building Science Engineer
RocMar Engineering Inc. is a structural, forensic, building science and environmental consulting engineering firm based in the Greater Toronto Area. We are looking for a forensic, structural and building science engineer, who will be reporting to our two principals and working closely with other engineers and support staff.
This opportunity will be best suited for individuals who are detail oriented, self-motivated, eager to learn, and willing to take on new challenges.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Identify the cause of the structural and / or building science related failure;
- Provide practical and reasonable solutions for repair / restoration of the subject failure, applying sound judgement and fundamental theory;
- Convey the solution to the client through specifications / drawings, and reporting;
- Put in the necessary effort to excel and succeed in the role.
- Conduct design, analysis and review of existing structures;
- Evaluate and assess building enclosures for failure, deficiency and performance;
- Perform causal and forensic evaluation of impaired building systems;
- Collect detailed and accurate field notes documenting site conditions, including photography;
- Generate and review working drawings, comprising BIMs (Building Information Modeling) and design, when required;
- Prepare detailed and thorough reports, including recommendations for restoration / analysis measures;
- Maintain adequate communication (via emails and phone calls) with management, clients, contractors, homeowners, facility maintenance personnel, consultants, city / building officials and other project related personnel;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Structural engineer with a P.Eng. designation or eligible for P.Eng.;
- Must have 4 – 7 years’ experience. The more experience the better;
- Building science understanding, including any formal education in this subject, would be considered a great asset;
- Demonstrate an understanding of engineering principles and theory and the ability to apply this knowledge to solve unique design scenarios and remedy field issues, as well as conduct forensic evaluations (i.e., structural / building science);
- Understanding and experience with structural wood, steel and concrete design, including use and comprehension of associated structural design software;
- Candidates are expected to have very good verbal English communication skills;
- Capable of writing detailed technical reports, using proper punctuation and suitable language;
- Disciplined individual with excellent attention to detail;
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Confident, responsible, dependable, punctual, realistic, positive, flexible, efficient;
- Able to work independently and with the team;
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize workload requirements to meet deadlines;
- Ability to be flexible to accommodate emergencies and unscheduled work during regular work hours;
- Must have clean driver’s license and willingness to travel throughout Ontario, often on short notice;
- Full-time, permanent position.
A cover letter must be submitted with your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Forensic Structural and Building Science Engineer: 4 years (Preferred)