Job Title: Addictions Counselor
The Addiction Counselor will report to the Program Manager. If the Program Manager is not present the Intake Manager is the next acting authority.
Our House Addiction Recovery Centre is a one-year residential recovery centre for adult men. We help individuals embark on a recovery process, leading to meaningful and productive lives. Our facility houses 60 men in a supportive environment where they work to overcome their challenges in a non-institutional setting. As an Addictions Support Counselor, you will provide the necessary care required by each client. Your primary duties will include conducting one on one sessions with clients, running group sessions, administering medication, running feeling check, and supervising afternoon programming.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitor client activities and provide effective intervention in crisis situations.
- Conduct one on one sessions to help client overcome dependencies, adjust to life, and make changes accordingly
- Help clients develop skills and strategies for dealing with their problems
- Act as an advocate for clients
- Maintain a client case load
- Create and maintain client case notes
- Perform drug testing as required
- Prepare and work through modules with clients
- Monitor evening program activities (e.g. 12 step meetings) of clients.
- Provide medication dispensing to clients during scheduled medication times, document all incoming medications and updated client medical information.
- Conduct room searches
- Participate in feeling check and required employee meetings
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff, volunteers, and clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Knowledge and experience in the addictions and/or mental health fields is required.
- Degree or Diploma in addiction, psychology, or related field is required
- Knowledge of the 12-step program
- Ability to work with a client-centered care philosophy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Complex trauma training required and will be supplied if applicable.
- Criminal Record check is required.
- Must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license with a clean three-year record.
- First Aid and CPR certifications are required, and training will be supplied if applicable.
- Must be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity with men of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds.
Job Type: Full-time