At Properly, we are on a mission to transform the process of buying and selling homes. We envision a future where real estate transactions involve dramatically less stress and surprising simplicity, and where a trusted technology partner helps Canadians navigate the entire experience of buying, selling and owning a home. By harnessing the power of data science, technology, and human-centered design, we've developed a seller experience that delivers a market price offer for your home in 48 hours with the ability to close at a time of your choosing. No home showings, no repairs and staging, and no fear of the offer falling through. For home buyers, we're reimagining the whole experience from home discovery through mortgage financing and renovations to close.
Check out our CEO's note ( https://medium.com/properly-homes/properlys-cultural-norms-3393441e2f6d ) on the culture we are trying to craft at Properly. We are seeking team members that want to grow and expand our culture here.
Properly is headquartered in Toronto (with an additional offices in Calgary and Ottawa, and soon to have offices across a number of other Canadian cities). We have a foundation of experienced operators on our team (Uber, Blackberry, Wealthsimple, Mozilla, Borrowell, etc.) and have raised funding from leading venture investors and angels including FJ Labs, Prudence, Golden Ventures, iNovia Capital, AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan) and others. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diverse experiences and perspectives because they make our team more successful.
We are looking for a General Manager to lead operations in Ottawa, Ontario. In this position you will report to the COO and have ultimate responsibility for market-level profitability, daily operations (inventory management, renovations, special projects), local partnerships, and local team success. This business will generate hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions within 12 months and we are looking for somebody who is up for the challenge. Over time there will be an opportunity to increase the scope of your leadership to other Ontarian cities. This role requires extensive collaboration with different functional teams and is required to bridge the gap between local and HQ teams in Toronto.
Required skills and characteristics:
- Manage the P&L for your region - look for creative ways to deliver innovation and efficiency in how we manage operations
- Oversee and optimize all local operating activities: home purchases, renovations and repairs, home marketing and sales
- Hire, develop and lead a diverse team of talented people
- Collaborate with marketing teams to initiate local strategies and customer growth campaigns
- Collaborate with product teams to support the creation of technology that automates and improves workflow
- Be the external face of Properly at local events and work to embed Properly within the community
At Properly, You'll Have:
- 7+ years previous experience in a high performance environment (consulting, banking, startups, private equity)
- Experience that combines day-to-day execution, along with strategic planning, business analytics, and project management
- Excellent EQ - you'll be managing relationships with a large external network of partners (Realtors, brokers, inspectors, lawyers, contractors, etc.) and internal stakeholders (data, product, engineering, marketing, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial DNA - you're comfortable building a business from the ground up, are comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity (but make data-driven decisions when possible!) and you aren't discouraged by major challenges along the way
- Leadership - you're a leader who knows how to motivate a team and build community
- Exceptional communication skills - you're an effective communicator who can inspire trust and confidence
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation days and a flexible work day; we care about outcomes over schedule.
- Lots of team events and social activities.
- Top of market maternal and paternal leave policies.
- Excellent healthcare benefits.
- Personal development budget; we support our team members' growth.