Are you an experienced finance professional, seeking an exciting and impactful role in which you can oversee the financial management of an organization, as well as influence its operations?
If you’re passionate about continuous improvement and desire a varied opportunity with a fast-paced, remote-working, non-profit organization, then look no further because you may be our new Manager, Finance & Operations.
At the Association of Consulting Engineering Companies - Ontario, we advocate for, and provide important services to the over 130 member firms, who employ over 22,000 Ontarians. Our member firms serve their clients by finding innovative solutions to technical problems, providing strategic advice and designs to enhance societal, economic, and environmental well-being, all while safeguarding the public welfare.
It’s our job to promote the business interests of our member firms and advance the value of the engineering work they do.
Manager, Finance & Operations
In this role, you will have primary responsibility for finance, administration, and human resources at ACEC-Ontario. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, you will provide direction on all operational matters, including budget management, cost controls, procurement practices, forecasting needs, revenue sources, HR administration, IT outsourcing and vendor management.
You’ll work closely with the Executive Director and senior management, to support the organization’s long-term vision as well as daily operations. Your goal will be to ensure an ideal environment for all staff to do their best work.
More specifically, you will:
- Work with the Executive Director on the yearly operational plan, providing operational leadership and a sound financial perspective on all growth plans and program initiatives.
- Serve as the finance lead, accountable for all financial functions including bookkeeping, budget management, payroll, annual audit, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reserve fund management, regulatory compliance, government remittances, reporting, etc., and serving as staff liaison to the Finance & Audit Committee.
- Prepare annual budget and multi-year operational forecasts by examining needs, budget lines, and ensuring fiscal responsibility against projected targets.
- Act as “office manager” arranging equipment, supplies and virtual support services for staff.
- Develop and implement operational systems for the Association, including records creation and maintenance for corporate, banking and membership purposes.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors through agenda development, meeting package preparation, meeting arrangements, minute taking for Board meetings and the AGM.
- Be the HR lead for the organization, responsible with the Executive Director and senior management for building a high-performance work culture and being accountable for HR compliance, skill improvement, performance management, succession planning, hiring, health and safety, employee engagement, compensation and benefits, payroll, policy documentation and employee records.
- Oversee all risk management and insurance activities including legal, insurance applications and claims management.
- Responsible for all assets of the organization and oversees vendors/suppliers, contractors, and projects.
The best person for this role will come equipped with not only a solid financial background, but also some experience with overseeing organizational operations including human resources. They will be highly motivated, analytical, and detail-oriented, with strong decision-making skills and willingness to learn.
If you’re excited to roll up your sleeves and apply your strong business acumen, financial skills, and strategic and operational execution capabilities to initiate and drive positive change, this is the role for you.
Working with ACEC-Ontario
This is a full-time, permanent position working from home in the GTA , working Monday to Friday. In addition to a starting salary between $80,000-$90,000 per year, you’ll receive the following:
- Generous Health Benefits package (single or family coverage as needed)
- 3 weeks’ vacation as well as Sick and Personal Leave time
- Additional paid time off during the Christmas holiday
- Up to 5% RRSP matching program
- Flexible working hours (around a core of 10am to 3pm)
- Remote working environment (with occasional in-person meetings in the GTA as needed)
We’re a small team making a big impact. That’s why we value things like autonomy, initiative, and creativity in every employee. What does that mean for you? For one, you’ll be starting out with a willing and motivated team to help you achieve your vision. Second, you’ll be joining a workplace that shares your passion for achievement.
- Minimum 5 years in a finance/operations role, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree or other relevant business education preferred.
- Accounting Designation or equivalent experience would be an asset but is not required.
- Solid knowledge of accounting software (QuickBooks Online strongly preferred) and MS 365 with emphasis on Excel Applications and Reports.
- Demonstrated skills in managing human resources, including managing employee relationship at all stages.
- Home workspace with active and reliable high-speed internet service.
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in, and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment, and look forward to hearing from you.