The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose summary:
The Salvation Army Child Care Centres provide nurturing care and education with a Christian influence to children ages 3 months to 12 years. All Salvation Army Child Care Centres are licensed by The Ministry of Education. Assistant Educators play a critical role in providing exceptional, quality care to the children while maintaining all Ministry of Education licensing regulations and Salvation Army Policies and Procedures. Assistant Educators observe, plan and implement experiences for children in consultation with the Registered Early Childhood Educator in the room, they communicate with families and they are part of a team atmosphere.
- Supervise and engage with the children in small and large groups
- Meet all children’s needs; physical, emotional and spiritual ensuring all children feel a sense of belonging
- Maintain ratios and implement all Ministry Regulations
- Record observations of children and document developmental milestones
- Plan and implement activities and experiences for children
- Set the classroom up as the “third educator in the room” ensuring all necessary toys and equipment are clean, safe and accessible, in accordance with established criteria
- Assist children in regular diapering, washroom, lunchtime, snack time and sleep time routines in accordance with procedures
- Set up, supervise and engage in playground activities (organize indoor gym activities during periods of inclement weather)
- Build and maintain professional relationships with families
- Participate in parent nights and special events such as Christmas concerts, fundraising, field trips, church programs, etc.
- Work as part of the child care team
- Perform other duties as assigned, i.e. taking out garbage, mopping, moving children’s furniture, preparing sanitizers, vacuuming, washing toys, cleaning washrooms, etc.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, general meetings and professional workshops
- Maintain attendance records, cleaning logs, electronic communication with families
- Care and maintain all equipment and furnishings
- Regularly communicate with the Supervisor, participate in goal setting and report serious occurrences
- Learn and adhere to The Ministry of Education How Does Learning Happen?, Early Learning Framework
- Report allegations of abuse to the local CAS
- Review and adhere to all Policies and Procedures
- 18 years of age or older
- Previous experience working in a Child Care Centre or working with groups of children
- Previous experience working with Infants an asset
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Education Licensing Manual
- Knowledge of the Ministry of Education curriculum framework (How Does Learning Happen?)
- Current Food Handlers Certification an asset
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A valid Standard First Aid CPR-C Certification
- Immunization records and verification of Health documentation
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 7.5 hours per day. Rotating shifts between 7 am and 6 pm Monday to Friday, occasional meetings/events on evenings and weekends
SALARY: $15.61-$19.51 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact Sharon Durivage by March 21, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Job Type: Full-time