Reporting to the Shift Supervisor, the Plant Operator is responsible for ensuring that his/her circuits are operated as per specified Key Input Variables while maintaining a safe working environment. This position entails the operation of a variety of hydrometallurgical and water treatment unit operations and ancillary equipment. The Plant Operator must possess sufficient mobility to be able to perform housekeeping and/or sampling and analysis duties in areas which may be awkward or difficult to reach. The operator must be physically able to use a variety of physical and chemical testing equipment. The operator must be able to operate mobile equipment such as forklifts and scissor lifts and must be able to go up/down stairs multiple times per shift. This position requires the operator to work a variety of shift schedules including night shifts.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Observe all applicable safety, quality, environmental and hygiene regulations
- Identify potential safety hazards, take immediate action to correct the hazard and report the situation to supervisory personnel on site
- General operation of assigned circuit. This may include but not limited to calculation and measurement of flow rates, startup/shutdown of circuit equipment, handling and mixing of reagents.
- Monitor process parameters and respond to alarms
- Review and analyze data to achieve process optimization through circuit adjustments
- Maintain proper sample/testing documentation such as Chain of Custody, Certificate of Analysis, etc.
- General housekeeping and minor maintenance duties
- Communicate end of the day information regarding process changes and issues to Shift Supervisors and group leaders.
- Minimum High School Diploma with operational experience or a Technical school diploma in a relevant field
- Previous plant experience in an operation role or in testing environment would be an asset
- Ability to multi-task, have strong organizational skills, a motivated self-starter, and able to work well under pressure to get results
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well as a team player or individually
- Must be able to communicate in both verbal and written form and be capable of maintaining neat and accurate records and logs of plant operation
- Ability to learn additional processes
- Flexible to work shifts (including night shifts)
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources