For more than a century, Family and Children’s Services Niagara, the local Children’s Aid Society,
has provided vital child welfare, family/community support, counselling, foster care and
adoption services to residents in the Niagara Region.
APSW – Life Skills Worker
[Up to 12-month contract, part-time]
Reporting to the Family Counselling Centre (FCC) Supervisor, the Life Skills Worker works with Adult Protective Services clients to enhance their ability to live successfully and independently in the community.
- Provides support, mentoring and coaching to Adult Protective Services clients to enhance skills
- Provides individual life skills coaching by use of appropriate professional skills and techniques including household management, cleaning, shopping, nutrition and food preparation, personal hygiene, budget management, socialization and recreational activities, banking, transit issues, community orientation, sexual issues, basic parenting skills, etc.
- Acts as a bridge in introducing clients to developmental disabilities service providers and other community resources and supports their involvement with these resources
- Acts as an advocate on behalf of the client to negotiate the acquisition of needed services on their behalf
- Advocates with other collaterals to ensure a community approach to assisting Adult Protective Services clients
- Follows prescribed individual or group activities and ensures the safety and well-being of clients in care according to centre and agency policies and procedures including outside supervision and vehicles in transporting clients
- Completes required administrative and recording requirements within required timeframes
- Ensures files are appropriately maintained throughout the life of the case including secure storage of files
- Assumes primary responsibility for coordinating client special events
- Demonstrates solid crisis intervention and de-escalation skills when required
- Identifies, promotes and supports the use of community resources to assist clients
- Knows and adheres to all applicable FCC and FACS policies, procedures and relevant administrative practices
- Ensures own expenditures adhere to FACS policies
- Participates in mandatory learning/education to maintain and update skills and knowledge as required
- Performs other duties as required
- Developmental Services Worker Diploma or related degree/diploma preferred
- Minimum of 2 years working with clients with developmental disabilities
- Solid knowledge of developmentally disabled adults and their associated support community
- Solid knowledge of legislation, regulations and standards governing adult protective services
- Excellent crisis intervention skills
- Valid G Driver’s License and access to a reliable motor vehicle with appropriate liability insurance is required
Please apply with your cover letter and resume by May 17, 2019.
Please include your salary expectations.
We thank all applicants however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Preference will be given to candidates who are bilingual in French and English.
Family and Children’s Services Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive barrier free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract