The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
- Read and initial daily Communication Log as part of a team effort to coordinate the plan and progress of clients
- Counsels clients/residents individually/in a group setting; develop and implement case management of assigned clients/residents (i.e. regularly counsels in establishing goals, monitors progress and prepares discharge plan)
- Presents case reports and progress of clients/residents at regularly scheduled case planning meetings; has input to case management of client/resident through case management meetings
- Maintains and updates all appropriate documentation related to clients/residents
- Completes all reports/stats required by the Ministry and the Salvation Army
- Refers clients to appropriate resources (internal and external) for the purpose of housing, employment, educational, practical everyday needs and other recovery needs
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to shift to receive verbal report and remain, when necessary, in crisis situation
- Models appropriate behaviour; intervenes in crisis situations provides counselling, and advocates as required
- Engages in the development of inter-personal relationships that promotes dignity and respect
- Liaises with Police, Ministry, court personnel, community agencies, family and other staff members
- Provides guidance and support to students and newly hired staff
- Encourage client attendance to all ‘in house’ groups
- Encourage clients in the maintenance of good personal hygiene, housekeeping skills, and general living skills
- Provide motivational counselling by ensuring clients are fulfilling their responsibilities by abiding by the Centre’s Administration Criteria
- Conduct ‘Crisis Counselling’ to outside clients when necessary
- Assist Intake Worker by covering Front Desk during breaks and peak periods
- Complete admission and discharge procedures as assigned and ensure recordings are in the appropriate places
- Enforce Honeychurch Family Life Resource Centre House Expectations on a consistent and regular basis
- Facilitate groups as assigned
- Advocate for clients with outside agencies, services, and landlords
- Conduct ‘On-Call Supervisor’ Responsibilities as scheduled
- Respond to ‘in house’ Crisis Situation in an appropriate manner
- Continually and regularly update self and follow through with all Centre Policy and Procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Conduct “Information Sessions and Facility Tours” as scheduled
- Participate in Centre Planning sessions and other assigned tasks
- Represent the Centre at “Public Speaking Engagements”, Community groups and other areas as requested
- Actively involved in Supervision with Supervisor
- Actively involved in on-going Professional Development
- Attend Staff Meetings, Team Meetings, Case Planning Meetings and other scheduled meetings
- Agree to sign the Confidentiality statement
- Agree to sign all necessary Human Resources forms
- Function as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Adhere to standards that are consistent to the values and philosophy of The Salvation Army
- Engage in formal Evaluations Sessions with Supervisor at three (3) month during first year of employment and annually thereafter
- Read and adhere to the Policy and Procedures Manual and the Employees Handbook
- Make suggestions that will improve efficiency, working conditions or procedures to Management
- Represent the organization in a professional manner and attitude
- Completed an Undergraduate University degree with a Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent experience with specialized training in woman abuse
- Knowledge of violence against women and children and the effects
- Crisis intervention, problem solving and assessment skills
- Good written/oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively as a team member
- Knowledge and understanding of, and a commitment to anti-racism and anti –oppression
- Ability to conduct group counselling
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong and supportive counselling skills
- Basic knowledge of community resources and/or how to access them
- Ability to work within a Christian perspective
- Possess a supportive, caring and non – judgmental approach to all clients
- Valid Class 'G' Driver's License
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week. Monday -Friday - 8am-4pm, 12pm-8pm and 2pm-10pm rotation
SALARY: As per CBA
Interested applicants are asked to contact Employee Relations by November 24, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- year's prior related: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- G Class Driver's Licence, First Aid/CPR (Required)