Position Description: Maintenance Person
Responsible to: Director of Dietary and Environmental Services
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Director of Dietary and Environmental Services, the maintenance person is to ensure the efficient operation and ongoing maintenance of Parkview Meadows Christian Retirement Village (including all equipment and machinery), and maintain a clean and safe environment for the residents, staff and visitors of Parkview Meadows.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Within the established policies of the corporation, the maintenance person will:
1. Perform minor repairs when necessary and feasible to the building and/or equipment, ie: faucets, toilets, washing machines, dryers, outside taps, door locks.
2. Inspect the mechanical rooms daily to ensure equipment is performing in a satisfactory manner.
3. Check on a regular basis all lights in common and parking areas, entrances to buildings and replace bulbs when necessary.
4. Ensure that heating and air conditioning equipment in the buildings and common areas is working properly and maintains the required temperature.
5. In conjunction with the office manager, assist in preparing rooms/apartments for occupancy when vacancies occur.
6. Assist activities and events, chapel or special performances with set-ups as required, including the lifting and removing of furniture and heavy objects as required, and maintain and change the outside portable advertising sign.
7. To observe all fire and safety regulations, and ensure that recommendations of the Fire Department are carried out where feasible.
8. Develop a regular maintenance calendar schedule for all equipment including: ventilating/heating systems, refrigeration, electrical systems, fire alarm system, emergency lighting, plumbing services, grounds, and reports to the Director of Dietary and Environmental Services any deterioration in the building, electrical or maintenance problems or otherwise, which could lead to costly repairs.
9. Advise the Properties and Maintenance Committee of long-term building maintenance requirements, assist in obtaining quotes and estimates from outside contractors and supervise the work they perform, when requested to do so.
10. Supervise any volunteer help or contracted workers which may be used from time to time for snow removal, grass cutting, weeding, window washing.
11. Seek the assistance of the Properties and Maintenance Committee if the required work is beyond the scope of time allotment or beyond the technical expertise of the maintenance staff.
12. Receive direct approval from the Director of Dietary and Environmental Services for any overtime payment in relation to work associated with activities that take place on evenings, weekends or during your time of scheduled holidays not covered in this job description.
13. Attends all Properties and Maintenance Committee meetings.
14. Act promptly to identify and address incidents of offensive odour. Ensure the maintenance cart maintains all hazardous substances within the locked compartment and remains locked at all times when unattended.
15. Assist with resident moves and hanging resident’s personal pictures as assigned.
16. Maintain the flags around the buildings.
17. Oversee the garbage and recycle waste materials.
18. Test and log water temperatures on a daily basis.
19. Adhere to all policies and procedures pertaining to the operation of the facility in regard to: infection control, health and safety, personnel practices, internal and external emergencies, resident’s rights, confidentiality.
20. Work in a safe manner by: promptly reporting accidents/illness, seeking out first aid when appropriate, cooperating in health care treatment cooperating in all aspects of the facility’s modified work program, reporting all unsafe or unhealthy conditions.
21. Participate in staff meetings, committees, and in-service education designated by the Director of Dietary and Environmental Services.
22. Interact tactfully and courteously with residents, resident’s family, visitors and fellow staff.
23. Perform additional duties as required.
Parkview Meadows Christian Retirement Village is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
1. Exposure to pets, plants, perfumes, cleaning agents, chemicals, dust, etc.
2. Temperature fluctuations within various work areas.
3. Unpredictable resident behavior
4. Exposure to communicable diseases
5. Emotional impact of dealing with residents with deteriorating health
1. Constant (67-100% of shift): standing, walking, gripping, elbow, shoulder and wrist motion
2. Frequent (34-66% of shift): lifting, pushing, pulling, neck and back motion, twisting, bending/stooping, reaching forward
3. Occasional (0-33% of shift): carrying, crouching, kneeling, reaching above/below shoulder
1. High school diploma
2. Knowledge of/and experience with skilled trade(s)
3. Knowledge of maintenance and construction practices
4. High level of proficiency with hand tools and power tools
5. Knowledge of long term care and retirement guidelines and practices are an asset
Previous experience in working with the elderly
Job Type: Full-time