Acting, Assignment, Deployment, Indeterminate, Secondment, Specified period
FI-01 $54,694 to $76,725 / FI-02 $66,576 to $90,314
22 August 2021 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Please note that we will be pulling the first batch of candidates from the inventory on September 16th, 2019. If you are referred from the inventory you will be contacted to be assessed at a later date. If you are not referred no communication will be sent. Future pulls from the inventory may be administered.
Are you looking for a new challenge in an organization that encourages innovation and new ideas? If so, then Statistics Canada is the place to be! We are looking for energetic candidates who are eager to learn and grow in our agency.
Why join Statistics Canada? Statistics Canada was named one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for 2019 and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for 2019. Employees are proud to work at Statistics Canada—a reputable statistical agency recognized worldwide for providing high-quality data and information to Canadians.
Why join Statistics Canada’s Finance Branch? The Finance Branch embraces a dynamic team environment where collaboration is promoted, assignments are encouraged and staff opinions matter. Join us as we embark on an amazing analytics journey and experiment with new technologies and methodologies. Our management team will support you in implementing new ideas while you build your exciting career at Statistics Canada.
Positions to be filled:
Number to be determined
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized postsecondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics.
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized postsecondary institution with specialization in accounting, finance, business administration, commerce or economics AND experience related to positions in the Financial Management Group.*
- The experience required must be related to financial management and relevant to the FI position being staffed. This experience can be acquired in the public service or through other means (e.g., private sector, volunteer work, self-employment or any other relevant experience deemed to be relevant by the hiring manager).
*Extensive experience in at least one (1) of the following areas:
a. Financial operations (accounting operations, revenue management)
b. Internal controls (fraud risk management, quality assurance, monitoring, financial policy)
c. Planning and resource management
e. Financial management advisory services
f. Internal or external audit
g. Financial systems
h. External reporting
i. Business transformation (process optimization, analytics implementation)
j. Project management (supporting the organizational project and portfolio management functions, such as project management, project oversight and reporting capabilities)
k. Results measurement and reporting (designing and maintaining the Departmental Results Framework and providing support, tools, training and guidance for the creation of corporate key indicators and management of divisional Performance Information Profiles)
l. Risk management (designing and maintaining the Integrated Risk Management Framework and providing support, tools, training and guidance for the assessment of corporate and divisional risks)
- Extensive experience refers to the depth and breadth of experience generally acquired during two (2) or more financial cycles, for a combined total of 24 months, which aligns to the FI Recruitment and Development Program and the Financial Officer Recruitment and Development (FORD) Program.
Experience in providing financial guidance and recommendations
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
Eligibility for or membership in good standing in a professional accounting designation (CPA).
1. Experience in using, modifying and manipulating data using Microsoft Excel and/or Microsoft Access at an advanced level (using Visual Basic for Applications, creating pivot tables and macros and using complex formulas)
2. Experience in using Microsoft Power BI or other business intelligence or data analytics tools
3. Experience in writing documents used in strategic decision making by management
4. Experience in developing and implementing communication plans or infographics
5. Experience in providing advice on the income tax implications of taxable benefits
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
- Bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC
- English or French essential
Information on language requirements
Second Language Writing Skills Self-Assessment
In order to help you decide if you should apply to a bilingual position, an optional self-assessment of your writing skills in your second official language is available for you to take before completing your application.
For more information, please consult:
Unsupervised Internet Test of Second Language Writing Skills
1. Demonstrating integrity and respect (Values and ethics:
integrity and respect)
2. Thinking things through (Strategic thinking:
3. Working effectively with others (Engagement:
people, organizations, partners)
4. Showing initiative and being action oriented (Strategic thinking: ideas)
5. Oral and written communication
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Employment equity may be used to address the underrepresentation of designated groups.
Willingness to work overtime.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.