AFLis a leading provider of integrated solutions in the fiber optics industry. Byoffering expertise, products, and services in engineering, construction, andinstallation and repairs, AFL provides end-to-end solutions for customers’broadband networks. From being environmentally-conscious to ensuring a healthyand safe working environment, AFL invests in its employees. AFL proactivelyengages with its communities through grants, service projects, environmentalinitiatives and more. Through a culture of commitment and collaboration, thecompany is a trusted advisor for customers in the telecom, oil and gas, andutilities markets. AFL is proud of its impact on communities, connecting peoplewith innovative technologies, exceptional products, and high-quality services.
We have a reputation in the fiber optics industryfor consistently being at the forefront of technology and innovation. Wantproof? We were founded in 1984 with a single product, fiber optic ground wire.Today, we sell thousands of products and services to multiple markets acrossthe globe and have become a billion-dollar company in revenue. Not only do wehave a track record for growth and financial stability, but we are also backedby Fujikura, a $6 billion company with a 128-year history of productinnovation. With our culture of commitment and professional growthopportunities, AFL will give you the opportunity to reach new heights and takeyour career to the next level.
AFL has operations in Canada, theU.S., Mexico, Europe, Asia, and Australia and employs over 6000 peopleworldwide.
The Learning and Development Advisor is accountablefor day-to-day oversight of the learning and development (L&D) programs forthe organization including performance management, e-learning, classroomfacilitation and (learning) metrics. The L&D Advisor works collaborativelywith members of the HR team, organizational leaders and frontline Employees toengage, consult and develop learning programs and initiatives that support thebroader strategies for the department and address the organization’s businessrequirements. The incumbent willleverage their knowledge of Human Resources, employee development and talent developmentto create learning opportunities for management and employees.
Specific Responsibilities and Resulting Outcomes
1. Work with multiple groups within our organization to assess andprioritize training and development needs linked to business objectives, AFL corecompetencies, and core values.
2. Build and maintain strong working relationships across all levels ofthe organization including senior leaders, key stakeholders and subject matterexperts (SME’s).
3. Lead Employee Engagement action committees across business units toidentify short, medium- and longer-term priorities and initiatives.
4. Lead annual performance review process including training ofEmployees and Managers in establishing SMART goals and alignment with businessgoals and individual career planning.
5. Work collaboratively with Talent Acquisition teams and AFL’s onboardingprograms and initiatives to ensure wholesome understanding of the business,organizational synergy and employee (career) development.
6. Work with HR, EHS (Health and Safety) and Business units tostandardize training records, pathways to learning and competency mapping.
7. Assist employees with developing training plans, career development plans, and skills development to support career progression.
8. Work with HR Leadership and Peers to support and lead successionplanning initiatives
9. Determine appropriate learning objectives, evaluation metrics andensure feedback is leveraged for continuous improvement.
10. Determine appropriate methods of training delivery and contentdevelopment (in collaboration with the business and/or external vendors)
11. Ensure training projects are delivered on-time, on budget, andwithin scope.
12. Manage changes to schedule and scope changes effectively to ensuresuccess of the project
13. Conduct Train-the-Trainer (TTT) sessions for facilitated and virtualfacilitated training programs.
14. Analyze training needs and skill assessments to develop new trainingor improve existing programs.
15. Support the L&D Team Members and recommend the most effectivelearning methodologies and design training solutions including instructor-led,virtual instructor-led, self-paced, eLearning, video tutorials, informal andsocial learning methods.
16. Maintaining professional standards by continuously improving andupdating technical and functional knowledge and keeping abreast of learningtrends.
1. 5+ years of progressive Human Resources,Organizational Development and/or Performance Management experience
2. 2-3 years in Adult Learning and Development field(preferably corporate training, HR and/or organizational development); working towardsan Adult Education certificate
3. Proven track record of Project Management, VendorManagement, and Stakeholder Management
4. Working knowledge of applications/tools used indevelopment and tracking of training (such as MS Excel, PowerPoint, ProjectManagement software and Learning Management Systems)
5. Working knowledge of Adobe Captivate or othere-learning authoring tools would be an asset
· Strong time management and organizational skills withthe ability to work independently under minimal supervision
· Flexible, detail-driven, proactive self-starter andable to learn and modify approaches
· Strategic thinker who can conceptualize Training andDevelopment strategy, then create a practical approach to accomplish it based onstakeholder timelines and objectives
· Collaborative relationship builder who can negotiatewith internal clients and external vendors to achieve excellent results undertight restrictions
· A team player with the ability to adapt in a fastpaced, rapidly changing environment
· Excellent communication skills including verbal,written, and through professional behaviors
· A positive can-do attitude and customer-focusedapproach
· Aptitude for attention to detail and a high degree ofaccuracy
· Proactive and results-oriented with the ability to resolvecomplex issues, ability to work with little supervision
· Strong business acumen to provide credible,professional and value-added services to management and team members
· Flexible and open to change; rapidly adapting to newinformation, changing conditions or unexpected obstacles
· Normal office environment
· Moderate travel as required
· General working hours Monday to Friday of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with some additional hours required for special projects, trainingdelivery and coordination and professional development and networking
Why Work for AFL
· We Care: Our Employees are eligible toparticipate in our amazing Total Rewards Program which offers: Extended Healthand Dental, Vision Care, Life Insurance, RRSP matching, Employee and FamilyAssistance Program and more.
· We Include: AFL is an equalopportunity employer that’s committed to accessible, inclusive employment.
· We Develop: We enthusiasticallysupport learning and advancement opportunities for our team members.
· We Reward: Abundant discounts with various retailers viaour Work Perks Program.
· We have Fun! Employee Eventsthroughout the Year!
· We Connect…. #WeareAFL
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent