Summary of Position:
Engineering assistant for land development and municipal infrastructure focused projects. Will provide resident field services during the construction season. Multiple positions available. Please submit your resume and cover page by March 19, 2020.
Catterall & Wright was established in Saskatoon in 1965 by Fred Catterall, P.Eng. and Don Wright, P.Eng. and continues to offer professional civil engineering services to municipalities, land developers, architects, contractors, government agencies, First Nations, and industries in Saskatchewan. Both Fred and Don promoted being a team player, maintaining high standards, taking pride in your work, and providing customers with good design at reasonable cost; principles we continue to exhibit today. Our firm specializes in municipal engineering design related to commercial, industrial and residential land development; street, roadway and drainage design; storm water, potable water & wastewater systems; transportation, asset management, landfills and solid waste transfer stations.
Our firm employs a growing full-time staff of 24 with seasonal staff joining our team as needed. The key to our long-term relationships with clientele is our ability to provide clients with reliable, quality personal service. We are a small, locally owned business and take great pride in the relationships we maintain with our clients. The strength of the team is our carefully selected staff members; we are a mix of experienced senior engineers, intermediate and junior support staff who are well versed in current engineering technology and analytical software.
Our partners and staff strive to provide courteous, personal service with unique and innovative solutions for all municipal infrastructure systems. We are dedicated to providing civil engineering services with our technical expertise including design, planning, feasibility studies, detailed equipment and construction specifications, field layout and observation during construction, contract administration, and project management.
But enough about us, what about YOU?
YOU will have the opportunity to become part of an exciting, successful company that currently employs approximately 24 full-time staff including 10 Engineers.
YOU will utilize your experience in a variety of different aspects within the industry by being exposed to the many facets of what the industry has to offer instead of focusing on one specific task.
YOU will have the opportunity to work with a company that aspires to be THE most RESPECTED and TRUSTED municipal engineering firm in our industry.
YOU will become part of a team who values being HONEST, RELIABLE, TRUSTWORTHY, and PRACTICAL.
YOU will have the opportunity to work with a vibrant and youthful company that truly cares about its employees and understands the importance of work-life balance. We have a fantastic social committee that plans and organizes numerous events throughout the year including family BBQ’s, golf/lawn bowling tournaments, games nights and many more.
Check out our website or facebook for more information on who we are! If you're looking for mentorship with valuable engineering experience, this is the place for you.
CORE Duties & Responsibilities:
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide site observations for land development and municipal related projects. Complete related observation reports as required.
- Assist Project Manager and Field Staff with site observations to ensure contractors are constructing works in accordance with design plans and specifications.
- Attend client / contractor meetings with project manager and complete meeting minutes.
- Assist Project Manager and contract administrator with administering and managing construction contracts and progress certificates.
- Coordinate with Project Manager and attend group meetings as required or scheduled.
- Work with Project Manager and ask questions to ensure project scope is properly understood.
- Assist field staff with topographic surveys, construction layout surveys, and record surveys for water, sewer, roadways and earth moving projects using GPS, rod & level or total station.
- Assist with various tasks relating to projects including preliminary field observation, data compilation, reports, modelling, cost estimates, specifications and project manuals.
- Provide verbal reports in regards to project status and progress to project managers on a regular basis or as needed.
- Read and understand project specifications and drawings.
- Track construction quantities as support to contract administrator for progress payments as required.
- Understand completely all company policies, filing procedures and goals of the Land Group and company.
- Research and increase product knowledge as needed or requested.
- Assist in preparation of proposals, website updates, marketing initiatives as requested
- Provide support to other staff as requested
- Assist with setting goals of professional development program
- Attend relevant training seminars
Attitudes & Values:
- Interested in municipal infrastructure systems and practices for water and sewer systems, drainage, transportation, etc.
- Thorough and methodic, yet efficient to ensure quality product is produced
- Time management skills that give the ability to be able to tend to several different projects on any given day.
- Loyal team player capable of dealing with multiple types of personalities.
- Honest and assertive to help uphold the integrity of the team and company mission, vision and values.
- Strong work ethic.
- Reliable and trustworthy presence.
- Sense of practical design.
- B.Sc. in the field of Civil Engineering or diploma in Civil Engineering Technologies.
- Must have a valid drivers license and vehicle.
- Must be willing to travel and possibly work out of town for certain projects, expenses will be paid for this occurrence.