Conventional Bus Operator (Temporary)-006292
This is a temporary full-time position working eighty (80) hours bi-weekly for approximately one (1) month within the Transit Operations Branch of the Public Works Department. This position is within the CUPE 1505 Transit Bargaining Unit and is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
Conventional Bus Operators are responsible for the safe operation of their vehicles and must follow schedule guidelines, sometimes under difficult circumstances. Customer service is an essential part of the daily duties as Operators must be able to communicate effectively with all passengers and respond to their needs, constantly monitor their passengers and other drivers, and exercise a great deal of tact and diplomacy. Conventional Bus Operators deal with heavy traffic and congested streets, while monitoring fare collection and advising of the fare requirements, issuing and receiving transfers, and checking passes. Conventional Bus Operators must be alert and manage their personal well-being as they can drive long hours with minimum breaks, operate during peak periods with split shifts and must cope with adverse weather, construction and traffic conditions. Conventional Bus Operators may be required to participate in emergency management operations as part of the Municipality’s emergency response.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Daily interaction with transit riders, focused on safety, customer service, quality, and improvement of the municipal transit experience.
- Assist with passenger personal items, packages, and luggage (maximum weight of 50lbs), when required.
- Anticipate potential problems and handle customer complaints.
- Respond to passenger inquiries.
- Monitor collection of fares and advise of fare requirements; receive, verify and issue transfers.
- Board and exit people requiring additional assistance, operating ramps and securing wheelchairs as required.
- Respond to on-board emergencies, evacuating passengers as needed.
- Respond to incidents and accidents, seek assistance as required, and complete required reports.
- Check and visually inspect vehicle for pre-trip.
- Assess and monitor vehicle operating conditions, and report issues.
- Drive vehicle and practice defensive driving techniques, following applicable traffic laws at all times.
- Follow schedule routes and schedule guidelines and respond to any adjustments.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Valid Alberta Class Two (2) driver’s licence with Q Endorsement (Air Brakes) is required.
- A safe driving record is required (no more than 2 demerits and no more than 1 at-fault accident).
- Three (3) years of experience working in a service occupation dealing directly with customers.
- Five (5) years of recent driving experience.
- Minimum six (6) months’ experience in the transit industry. Driving experience in a transit environment is an asset.
- Completion of a defensive driving course is an asset.
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate is an asset.
- Ability to provide a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search for review and acceptance.
- Equipment testing is required as part of the recruitment process.
You will possess the following:
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Ability to demonstrate dependability and reliability.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to react quickly and remain calm in difficult and stressful situations.
- Ability to understand, speak, read, and write English in order to learn training materials, communicate effectively with the travelling public, and complete written reports.
- Ability and willingness to obtain First Aid/CPR Certificate is required within three (3) months of employment.
- Ability to complete a Defensive Driving course.
- Flexibility to perform scheduled activities on rotating shifts, including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays as required, to meet the scheduling and community needs.
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Must be medically and physically able to perform the duties of the job on an ongoing basis, which can include but are not limited to, sitting for prolonged periods of time, reaching, gripping, pushing/pulling of steering wheel, twisting and turning of neck, sensory/perceptual demands along with good concentration.
$18.00 (Training Rate)
$41.23 (Temporary Rate)
- Training rate will be paid while training for all hours spent on initial training.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an additional bi-weekly payment of $480 which represents a cost of living allowance
December 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM
Internal and External (Repost: November 20, 2021)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals
selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo