Under the supervision and direction of the Director of Care or her delegate, the administrative clerk performs clerical, Nurse scheduling and other applicable duties directly related to or in support of the nursing care staff providing resident care, according to established policies and procedures of the organization.
Reports To: Director of Care and her delegate.
- Scheduling, replacing and communicating with nursing staff.
- Maintains accurate timekeeping and other staff related records by coding/entering hours into the computer database and forwards timesheets and staffing information to the DOC, HR and/or appropriate departments.
- Filing staff leaves of absence and vacation requests using BCNU’s regulations.
- Ensures information pertaining to employees’ schedules is accurate and consistent for both computer (EMS) and hard copies.
- Maintains a current telephone list of all full time and casual nurses.
- Submits daily staffing information per floor to DOC or her delegate.
- Files Staff Leave Requests and edits Care Department vacation planner, according to process and submit a copy to the DOC.
- Schedules and coordinates transportation, private companions and external health care appointments for residents. Ensures the information is recorded in residents’ charts, in Point Click Care and communicates information to residents/their families and the nursing team.
- Files documents promptly after they are reviewed by nurses into resident’s charts and database entry into PCC. Inserts or replaces chart forms as needed and thins residents’ charts on instruction from the nurse / clinical care coordinator.
- Follows established process for admissions and discharges by setting up the resident’s chart, faxing information to the physician, retrieving information from hospitals and informing nurses/DOC/CCC of upcoming admissions.
- Liaise and book follow up appointments for Short Term Convalescent (STCC) Clients. Communicate appointment times with the STCC clients, their families and the nursing team. All appointments must be accurately documented in the resident’s chart and PCC.
- Submit daily census data sheet to VCH and ensure its accuracy before 10:00 AM
- Obtain accurate daily statistics regarding resident’s visits to emergency departments, hospitalization, falls and the number of wounds and their stages on a daily basis from the nurses and submit forms to DOC/CCC daily.
- Collaborate with various departments to order, monitor and stock medical and incontinence supplies in delegated storage areas.
- Obtain quotes for medical supplies as directed by DOC/CCC. Place orders on instruction from DOC/CCC and receive supplies for nursing department.
- Assists nursing staff with the processing of physicians’ orders, including faxing orders to pharmacy and receiving faxes and distributing to appropriate nursing units.
- Arrange in house clinics and schedule appointments for the visiting dentist, dental hygienist, foot care nurse, hair dresser and optometrist.
- Acts as receptionist for the Nursing Department by answering phones, directing visitors/residents etc.
- Participate and document minutes from monthly nursing meetings, transcribe accurately and distribute in a timely manner to all nurses.
- File documents such as incident reports and chart audits appropriately.
- Perform clerical duties such as typing, filing and photocopying as required.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- Secondary School graduate or equivalent
- Completion of business/community college secretarial program
- Minimum 1year previous Nurse Scheduling experience in Long Term Care facility preferred
- Familiarity with BCNU staffing requirements
- Proficiency in microcomputer skills – Word, Outlook, Excel
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Demonstrates experience in preparation and processing of reports, general correspondence, maintenance of residents’ database and collating charts, booking meetings, preparation and distribution of minutes, inventory and ordering of medical supplies, filing etc.
- Ability to function effectively in an organized manner, using self-direction to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in public interaction, handling sensitive issues with tact and diplomacy, respecting confidentiality
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with residents, families, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrated courteous and efficient telephone manner with excellent reception skills
- Ability to work effectively in a demanding office environment
- Demonstrated pattern of good attendance
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time