Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Manager of Communications & Public Relations is responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive communications and public relations plans for Sheridan. The incumbent forges strong relationships with traditional and online media/bloggers and other influencers. They research, write and promote Sheridan stories which will position the college prominently among external audiences. Tactics include: media counselling/training, identifying internal subject matter experts, researching and organizing speaking opportunities or media events, drafting executive speeches, contributing to publications (e.g., community impact report, research annual report), drafting opinion editorials and advertorials for Sheridan, pitching stories to media, and securing media opportunities for the President and Sheridan subject matter experts and contributing to media monitoring. The incumbent serves as editor-in-chief of Sheridan’s branded newsroom – a new, online vehicle intended to promote Sheridan stories to journalists and influencers and connect us more effectively with industry and community partners. They also contribute to the continued evolution of the Sheridan Central portal to ensure that Sheridan has a robust tool to foster belonging and engagement among current students and employees. The incumbent creates and manages communications campaigns to support corporate initiatives (e.g., strategic plan priorities; the introduction of new budget models, policies or procedures; promotion of student or employee surveys; annual events such as Welcome Back, Pride Flag Raising, Remembrance Day); and cross-college initiatives (e.g., EDI, wellness, sustainability, campus master plan).
What You’ll be Doing:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating strategic communications and public relations project plans that encompass the vision, activities and promotional objectives of Sheridan;
- Guiding internal clients in the development of strategic, effective communication strategies for their areas;
- Creating a variety of materials including award applications, speeches, blog posts, memos, emails and other materials to advance Sheridan’s business objectives;
- In collaboration with the Director, leading a PR and Communications function responsible for the development, implementation and measurement of a proactive media relations strategy for Sheridan; obtaining regular local, provincial, national and international coverage for Sheridan; maintaining the college’s presence in community media; and monitoring media mentions of the college;
- Developing and executing media relations plans to support Sheridan’s annual cycle of recruitment and programming, and to supporting periodic short or long-term initiatives;
- Managing Sheridan’s branded newsroom and working to cultivate Sheridan media experts;
- Planning, developing & coordinating policies and procedures with respect to media; writing, editing and producing wide variety of communications and visual content that aligns with overarching brand positioning and messaging strategy for publication on Sheridan’s social channels, website and branded newsroom;
- Developing, guiding and empowering a diverse and highly capable team through effective hiring, supervision, coaching, mentoring, workflow/goal setting and ongoing performance management;
- In consultation with the Director, developing, directing, monitoring and adapting the department budget;
- Accountability for resource stewardship, policies, procedures & compliance; adhering to legal/policy directives;
- Accountability for the efficient and compliant management of Records and Information Assets in all formats;
- Keeps abreast of higher-education social marketing advancements through networking, etc.;
- Performing other related projects, duties and initiatives, as assigned.
Who We Are:
- 4-year degree in Public Relations, Communications, Business, Liberal Arts, Journalism or related field;
- 5 years of sound experience in communications and public relations, including leading teams (or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience);
- Demonstrated success in development of strategic communications/media relations plans that met/exceeded goals;
- Record of success in media relations, including writing media releases and pitching to targeted audiences;
- Familiarity with media monitoring tools, e.g., Cision;
- Ability to work independently and manage a significant number of projects simultaneously;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, demonstrated ability to write effectively on a wide array of subjects, in a variety of styles for different audiences;
- Collaborative with strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism;
- Ability to conceptualize strategies & develop, implement and measure programs in support of organizational goals;
- Demonstrated critical thinking and issues management skills;
- High degree of diplomacy and discretion exercising sound judgement and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Completion of course work or certificates in corporate communications;
- Training in web analytics (asset);
- Understanding of accessibility issues (AODA) (asset);
- Understanding of privacy and crisis communication escalation procedures (asset).
“At Sheridan, we are passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our graduates enjoy a well-deserved reputation for their ability to succeed in the workplace from day one. This is a testament to Sheridan's dedicated and caring faculty and staff, who have strong ties to industry and ensure our students have hands-on learning experiences and the best possible preparation for their future careers. We're building a new, groundbreaking model of higher education — one that prepares graduates with the hard and soft skills to navigate change in a complex world. As a member of the Sheridan community, you will have the opportunity to shape our teaching and learning experience and help prepare the future leaders of tomorrow.”
For more information, visit:
Why Work at Sheridan
Trafalgar (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
$96,615 - $102,654
$96,615 - $120,769
Sheridan is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from marginalized and equity-seeking groups. Persons with a disability may contact the Human Resources department to request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.