The role of Business Development Manager - Meetings and Conventions is a leadership position responsible for increasing the visitor economy in Fort McMurray and region through attracting Meetings and Conventions delegate stays and raising awareness of Fort McMurray’s unique hosting opportunities and support.
This role will focus on generating meetings and conventions leads to support the efforts to increase utilization at all area venues including publicly-owned/operated facilities and Fort McMurray hotels.
The position of Business Development Manager Meetings and Conventions has a key role in fostering cross collaboration between WBEDC’s divisions and will effectively utilize the knowledge-based resources of all divisions to achieve results.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Tourism and working closely with the Senior Leadership team, this person is responsible for the direction of the Meetings and Convention Business unit with a heavy focus on the driving and delivery of results.
Main duties include: strategy, design and execution of business plans, financial and budget management including the Fort McMurray Opportunity Fund, continual review and analysis of sales tactics and research and analysis of trends, establishing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders and managing development of staff.
- Meetings and Conventions Team Leadership
- Capacity Building and Performance Management
- Strategic Relationships
- Execute Strategic Priorities and Annual Plans
- Post-secondary degree in Tourism, Business or related field
- 10 or more years' experience with tourism management, hotel, sales and/or management. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
Skill and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent ability to effectively present information to executive management team, public groups, etc.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders with varied agendas and buy-in levels, and coalesce into a unified agenda.
- Comfortable providing coaching, feedback and guidance to team members.
- Easily develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders, industry partners, and non-traditional partners
- Strong leadership of a team with diverse perspectives and responsibilities
- Ability to inspire, motivate and mobilize resources to achieve desired outcomes.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines and prioritize on an ongoing basis seeing a project through to completion; and allocate staff and financial resources accordingly.
- Experience of budgeting, planning and human resources management
- Superior problem solving, coaching and strategic thinking skills
- Senior level experience in managing business development opportunities across diverse stakeholder interests.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite of Applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word) and contact database input and management are required
- Knowledge/experience in sales, marketing and tourism industry innovation.
Job Type: Full-time
- sales: 5 years (Preferred)