The Human Resource Service Centre (HRSC) is the initial point of contact for professional human resources and pay related support to McMaster managers, faculty, staff, and retirees. The HRSC team is dedicated to our customers and our strategic objective is to deliver core services in a timely, accurate and uninterrupted manner. Our team culture is to promote a positive, productive working and learning environment through the delivery of expert, consultative human resource programs and services in support of the University’s mission. We facilitate a culture of engagement encourage continuous improvement and foster collaborative relationships.
About the Position
Reporting to and working under the leadership of the Senior Manager, Payroll Services, Taxation and Data Compliance, the Program Manager, Payroll Compliance and Control will be responsible for the day-to-day management of a team of payroll analyst experts that provide payroll, tax and data compliance services. Utilizing a customer-focused approach, the Program Manager, Payroll Compliance and Control will work both independently and collaboratively to ensure payroll services meet all regulatory, legal compliance and collective agreement requirements.
By overseeing a team that provides full cycle payroll processing services for the University and its affiliated employers, this position is responsible for the daily management of the payroll team that executes our complex payroll function and related compliance requirements.
With a focus on accuracy and data integrity, the Program Manager, Payroll Compliance and Control will be the team expert for payroll processing, remittances, auditing and report development and communication of payroll data and financial information to support the effective delivery of key HR payroll operations.
The Program Manager, Payroll Compliance and Control will be responsible for:
- Managing, coaching and mentoring a team of payroll analyst experts, which includes supporting their work engagement, skills development and on-going feedback
- Developing standardized operating procedures and processes to create efficiencies and improvements where necessary, including training and supporting documentation
- Processing of full cycle payroll, which includes, management of statutory deductions, all remittances, posting to the GL and account reconciliations, year-end and tax slip processing
- Tracking and analysis of key performance indicators, metrics and service levels agreements to identify service gaps
- Leading internal and external payroll audits to meet legislative requirements in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency, Income Tax Act, Service Canada, Employment Standards Act, and McMaster University guidelines and policies.
- Responding to team issues and resolving complex payroll inquiries and escalations
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement while ensuring the stability of pay as the priority
- Providing coaching and support to new and current administrators regarding payroll administration, data management and payroll financial reporting
- Providing general payroll support with emphasis on achieving HR operational excellence standards set forth from the HRSC and improving HR standard operating procedures/ employee relations and engagement through best practices.
What we are looking for
To be successful in this role, you must have a passion for team management, payroll data and audit processing, and continuous improvement initiatives. You are a top performer in your current role with a proven track record of:
- Exceptional leadership, communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- High data accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven time management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills to meet specific deadlines
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to resolve complex situations in a diplomatic manner.
- Being a highly motivated self-initiator who is results driven and able to demonstrate creativity and sound judgement in a fast-paced environment
- Working effectively in a team environment
- Embodying McMaster’s core leadership capabilities: Taking a Strategic Approach, Communication and Collaboration, Developing People, Driving Results, Championing Change and Innovation and Investing in Relationships
The preferred candidate has at least 5 years progressively responsible payroll experience with team management, HRIS workforce systems, and payroll administration. You have a university degree with a focus in Business Administration/Human Resources, in addition to:
- Practical knowledge of payroll best practices, data management, audit processes, human resources administration, and financial functions
- Experience working with HRIS/Payroll systems, working knowledge of Peoplesoft is preferable
- Working knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency compliance, Income Tax Act, Service Canada, Employment Standards Act and other applicable legislation
- Canadian Payroll Association Designation (PCP or CPM) is an asset
- Certified Human Resources Professional Designation (CHRP) is an asset
- Previous supervisory experience
- Proficient computer literacy with MS Office applications (Word, Excel)
- Experience in a unionized environment is an asset