Chen Law Office is a small and collegial law firm in Markham, currently seeking a talented and experienced Licensed Paralegal to join our civil litigation/family law team.
This is an exciting opportunity for new licensed paralegals to join a growing firm with interesting work and a friendly environment.
The successful candidate may eventually have carriage of Small Claims Court files, Landlord and Tenant Board matters, and other tribunal matters.
· Assist Lawyers with general management and organization of civil litigation and family law files in order to coordinate flow of information and work
· Initiate follow-up and communication with clients, counsel, and courts as required
· Access and utilize online resources, and drafting of legal memos and legal documents
· Provide support in all aspects of firm’s civil litigation practice: contract dispute, shareholder dispute, collection matters, employment law litigation, estates litigation, real estate litigation, construction liens, and family law files.
· Draft court documents, assist the lawyer with preparation for examinations for discovery, motions, hearings, etc., and perform all tasks as may be required by the lawyer.
· Provide general administrative support as required: typing, filing, mailing, photocopying, binding, scanning, faxing, ,
· Proficiency in MS Office 2010 (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, PCLaw, Westlaw, and DivorceMate
· Attendance at court and tribunal hearings and appearances
· Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills in English
· Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills Mandarin Chinese/Cantonese is an asset
· Access to a vehicle and license to drive
· Availability to work overtime, when necessary
· General office duties as may be required or needed as part of the Chen Law Office team.
· exceptional organization and time-management skills to work efficiently in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
· dedication to providing high quality client service through customer service skills and interpersonal skills
· excellent written communication skills with the ability to present complex matters clearly and concisely
· focused on accuracy and attention to detail with the ability to see the big picture
· able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize appropriately
· able to work independently as well as participating in and supporting a team
· able to identify problems, develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
· able to keep information organized and confidential
· Candidate must be a Licensed Paralegal in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
· One (1) year experience is preferred but not required.
Salary Compensation commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to: Eva Chen of CHEN LAW OFFICE
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year