Manager, Child & Youth
This opportunity is for a 10 month maternity coverage contract.
At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts - shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
As Manager, Child and Youth Experiences, you are responsible for the co-creation, development, resourcing, delivery, evaluation, performance and evolution of child & youth experiences. You will co-create and connect with our customers, community and employees in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing our cause. You will re-imagine, oversee and evolve all aspects of the child and youth offerings and bring Vivo experiences to life. You’ll lead with empathy, provide inspiration, encourage innovation, and build accountability and capacity in the team to deliver strong results and impact.
Reports to: Programs & Service Director
- Oversee, evolve and provide leadership and direction to the camps, 4 in 1, and youth leadership club, night, and entrepreneurship portfolios in the form of talent acquisition, training, performance management, team in-services and training.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate work-plans and performance targets for the child and youth experience team (camps, 4in1, youth leadership, and family play and drop-in experiences).
- Empower and hold the child and youth experience team accountable for achieving established work-plans and targets through the regular follow-up, feedback and coaching.
- Recruit, onboard, train, coach and performance manage the team utilizing Human Resources best practices to ensure a high-performing team.
- Perform regular scheduling and payroll to the 30+ lead, camp, 4in1, youth leadership and family play instructors.
- Co-create, collaborate, and foster healthy teamwork amongst programs and services managers in order to develop strong experiences for the community.
- Champion the Vivo instructor certification including, providing mentoring, facilitation of training and on-going evaluation.
- Lead day to day child and youth environments for summer camps, day camps, 4 in 1, youth leadership and family play by creating meaningful touchpoints for the customer’s journey, maintaining health and safety standards, first aid incidents, equipment inventory and ordering.
- Lead and manage the 4 in 1 Physical Literacy Program/Longitudinal Study and its evolution aligned with our research and innovation outcomes, including:
- Reporting back to external partners and donors
- Completing work plans, and providing information and documentation for grant applications
- Sustaining, and growing external relationships with program partners aligned with research and innovation outcomes
- Conduct research, analysis, and recommendations for camps and 4in1.
- In collaboration with the Early Years Manager, manage regular drop-in gym-based activities and the family play gym-based activities.
- Seek out and explore trends and practices, and the needs of Vivo’s community that are aligned with organization timelines and provide recommendations on the child & youth portfolio.
- Lead and develop business cases for the design and implementation of play based and curriculum-based learning experiences for children and youth offerings.
- Own child and youth experience budget and understand and monitor key components that influence targets and revenue generation.
- Assess, revise, and revamp operational policies, procedures and training manuals for summer camps, day camps, 4 in 1, youth leadership and family play instruction to ensure they are aligned and support the new business model and team practices.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of programming development, software and inputting requirements, including: marketing timelines, inputting timelines, pricing strategies, program inputting into software, program documentation and review (i.e. 1st draft of program guide), feedback and editing, bookings timelines, sharing and developing experiences with other teams (i.e. in-services with other teams), community collaborations, and equipment and contract budgeting.
- Perform child and youth experience evolutions including managing wait-lists, course transfers and attendance sheet distribution, course maintenance, drop-in programming, webpage administration and facility maintenance requests for camps, 4in1, youth leadership, family play.
- Build strong relationships and co-create with our children and youth audience to determine their needs and what they value in play experiences and translate learnings to the team to test and implement the overall customer experience.
- Participate in re-imagining the child and youth experience development process through a service design thinking lens with the team and then implement and build capacity in the child and youth experience team to do the same.
- Explore, experiment, build, implement and measure new ways of building play based/ spontaneous and curriculum-based experiences as well as social, inclusive, learning environments for child & youth.
- Implement and integrate learnings and evolutions into team’s work in “real time” as a result of experimentation and testing.
- Present ideas, research, and recommendations to leadership team through strong communication in the form of verbal presentations, business cases, and facilitation of meetings.
- Champion Vivo at special events i.e. everybody plays, open house, community events, etc.
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in child and family development, human ecology, kinesiology, business or related field
- Minimum 3 years of leadership and supervisory experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with children
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- Police Information Clearance within the past 3 years for current staff and 6 months for new staff
All Interested Candidates, please email your Cover Letter and Resume, stating this opportunity in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in VIVO. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
This opportunity will remain active until candidate is hired.
Job Types: Temporary, Contract
- Supervisory: 3 years (Required)
- child and family development: 3 years (Required)
- leadership: 3 years (Required)
- business or related field: 3 years (Required)
- Human Ecology or Kinesiology: 3 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Level C (Required)
- Police Information Check (Required)