Aplin Martin is an employee-owned comprehensive team of a community planners, engineers, and architects dedicated to influencing positive change within communities through the delivery of creative and innovative solutions. Our employees are innovative thinkers who ensure our design solutions are functional, viable and in the best interests of present and future generations.
Aplin Martin is a working environment that is committed to it’s employees. We understand our employees are the key to our success and our commitment is to provide:
- Challenging and rewarding projects;
- Recognition for your personal and team accomplishments;
- Flexibility and sustained work-life-balance;
- Encouraged career and professional development opportunities; and
- Physical, psychological, and financial health and well-being.
Aplin Martin is seeking a Community Planner to join our growing Okanagan planning team, located in Kelowna, BC. Reporting to the Community Planning and Urban Design Manager, this position will provide you with an opportunity to participate in a range of exciting multi-disciplinary public and private-sector community projects encompassing community planning, urban design, and land development.
- Perform, prepare, and analyze a range of tasks related to planning, urban design, and land development assignments;
- Conduct research within planning policy, land use, social, and economic realms;
- Prepare complex policy planning amendments and other regulatory approvals (e.g. OCP, zoning, neighbourhood plans, etc.);
- Communicate within multidisciplinary team members on relevant project topics;
- Collaborate and communicate with clients, government agencies, and other stakeholders;
- Prepares formal and technical written reports related to planning policy, land use, social, and economic assignments;
- Develops strategies to promote community, economic and social scenarios through the use of design programs and software;
- Speak with and present to a diverse range of audiences (e.g. public, business community, municipal councils, etc.)
- Assist in programming, designing, and facilitating public consultation and engagement events;
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and other business development activities.
Aplin Martin will consider individuals with a wide range of experience, education and backgrounds. However, preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- A degree in Community Planning, Urban Planning, Urban Design and / or related field;
- Minimum 2-5 years of progressively responsible community planning related experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience, preferably within a consulting environment;
- Full membership, or eligibility, of the Canadian Institute of Planners/Planning Institute of BC;
- Demonstrated experience in community planning, urban design, land development, and subdivision design processes;
- Project coordination and supervisory experience;
- Excellent written/oral communication skills, organizational skills, and high attention to detail;
- Public consultation and engagement experience;
- Experience in Sketch-up, Adobe Creative Suite, GIS, and social media platforms.
Job Type: Full-time
- community planning: 2 years (Required)