At Chewters Chocolates, We Make People Happy by Making Great Chocolate! We are looking for a Production Manager to come join our team. The Production Manager is responsible for overseeing the entire manufacturing process and for establishing processes to improve the efficiency of the SQF system to demonstrate continuous improvement.
A leading manufacturer of premium chocolates Chewters Chocolates is a fast paced, innovative, quality driven organization where employees are recognized as our biggest asset. Here’s why you should join our team:
- We make great chocolate
- Be part of a fun and energetic team who is constantly innovating in process and product
- You will constantly learn and develop in your position
- Receive a competitive compensation package
- Employer paid group MSP, Extended health and Dental plan
- You will even receive an employee discount on great chocolate!
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Meeting scheduled production.
- Ensuring all required documentation is correct, complete and ready for a production start-up.
- Taking a leadership role in hiring, discipline, training and effective supervision of the production team.
- Implementing cross training of staff in times of absence.
- Managing employee work schedule – especially overtime – based on production schedule
- Developing, executing and maintaining standard operating procedures, work instructions and one-point lessons related to the production floor activities.
- Ensuring a safe and health work environment through training by arranging and implementing the required training (safety, food safety and food quality), keeping training materials up to date and ensuring the completion of competence and training records for department employees. Complete training verification checks to ensure training efficiency.
- Loading recipe plans and oversight of recipe materials coordination.
- Facilitating continuous improvement through effective problem solving, internal auditing, training, and communication strategies.
- Understanding, participating in and supporting HACCP Plan maintenance and changes implementation
- Ensuring that identified necessary changes in process technique are notified to the Plant and QA Managers through the use of corrective action procedures
- Implementing and controlling security & developed emergency action plan and required procedures
- Ensuring and verifying that all staff has a complete working understanding of the required food safety and quality policies and procedures including Occupational Health & Safety, HACCP and SQF codes requirements
- Supporting R&D trials, recording results & submitting necessary documentation to quality team for filing
- Improving overall plant cleanliness assigning sanitation personnel and daily plant inspections.
- Minimizing indirect labor through planning for downtime such as changeovers, and having alternate work available
- Coordinating changeovers with necessary crew and maintenance personnel. Coordinate with the planner to ensure the necessary packaging supplies are available for the next production run. Coordinating the next day’s activities, ensuring the lines are ready to run at the scheduled start time.
- Coordinating and managing production team activities that include food safety and quality and spending 90% of time on the production floor.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university (preferably in Business Management, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering) or equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing productivity, efficiency, and process improvement in a manufacturing setting. Food manufacturing experience required.
- Minimum 3 years experience managing multiple departments, promoting key players, grooming direct reports and employee performance management.
- Automated processing, production and/or packaging line experience preferred.
- Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma experience considered an asset.
- Excellent English verbal and written skills
- Good knowledge in labor standards, OSHA regulations, WHMIS and other related regulations
- Good knowledge in GMP, HACCP and other food quality & safety related regulations
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the company
- Good judgment, diplomacy and discretion
- Passion to learn more about our chocolates and how they are made!
- Flexible to work extended hours, weekends etc. as needed
- Able to sit and stand in an office setting and also walk around on the production floor
- Must wear protective clothing, such as coats, hair nets and safety shoes when on the production floor
- Exposure to machinery sounds and loud noise levels
- Able to push, pull, bend and lift in an office setting
Job Type: Full-time
- Food Manufacturing: 3 years (Required)
- Production Management: 5 years (Required)