Aon Hewitt has announced BCAA as a 2019 Platinum Level Best Employer!
What BCAA offers you:
- It’s not in our nature to brag but we are proud of some of our achievements that recognize great employee culture. Some of our latest awards include being a 2019 Platinum level Best Employer by AON and being recognized as a 2018 Outstanding Workplace by YWCA.
- Our team members get to make a difference in the lives of our Members and their communities every day.
- We pride ourselves in being open and transparent and in empowering our people to do great work while serving our Members.
- We enthusiastically support learning and advancement opportunities for our team members.
- We are an equal opportunity employer that’s committed to accessible, inclusive employment.
- Our Regular Full-Time & Part-Time+ (working 20 hours or more per week) status team members are eligible to participate in our amazing Total Rewards Program which offers: Extended Health and Dental, Vision Care, Life Insurance, RRSP matching with company contribution to your pension, access to Incentive Programs, Team Profit Sharing, Employee & Family Assistance Program and more.
- Team members at our Home Office also get to use our Shared EV (electric vehicle) Program, have access to our subsidized cafeteria and free fitness centre.
BCAA' Burnaby Home Office is hiring for a Temporary Full-Time (end date of approximately December 13, 2019) First Notice of Loss Adjuster (FNOL). The department operates in a 24/7 environment, and the FNOL Claims Coordinator operates within Claims Performance Standards to Property and Casualty Insurance Claims (homeowners, recreational vehicle, classic car, travel accident benefits) primarily by telephone and triages the claims calls to determine the most appropriate resource for the loss. Further to this, if coverage is available for a loss within the insuring agreement, and within their specified authority, they then proceed to settle or make a no coverage decision on the claim. The scope of the position and the nature of the cases handled is determined by the Claims Characteristics Table accompanying the job description.
Please note the hours of work: 37.5 hours per week and working in a 24/7 environment.
Triage, Investigate and Adjust Claims:
- Reviews new unassigned open claims and assigns to the appropriate Adjuster/Examiner.
- Opens new claims that are reported directly to the Claims department.
- Handles incoming telephone calls, maintains the call queue, answers routine inquiries and forwards calls as appropriate.
- Triages customer complaints and notifies Managers of any issues.
- Supports the claims cheque workflow process, including administering cheque signing to Executive Team
- Advises insured of the rights and obligations in accordance with the policy and the appropriate Insurance Act.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with the insured.
- Investigates the claim in order to determine if the policy will respond to the loss and investigates the legitimacy of the claim.
- Interviews and/or takes statements from policyholders, claimants and witnesses.
- Reviews information including, but not limited to, estimates, photos and/or videos of property damage, proof of ownership, hospital records, and other pertinent information required to fully substantiate the claim.
- Receives and evaluates information to determine cost of loss.
- Informs manager if claim exceeds authority limits, making recommendations where appropriate.
- Sets and maintains appropriate reserves to maximum authority level.
- Ensures Service Delivery Partners are working within prescribed standards.
- Maintains updated, current and organized claims files in accordance with Claims Performance Standards.
Negotiate and Settle Claims:
- Negotiates a fair and cost effective settlement with the insureds', claimants or claimant’s legal representative either directly or through the services of retained counsel.
- Validates information, including but not limited to invoices and receipts.
- Processes payments in accordance with BCAA best practices.
- Assesses economic feasibility to pursue subrogation and transfers to Subrogation Specialist where appropriate.
- Arranges disposal of salvage arising from settled claims in accordance with departmental standards.
- Remains current on industry knowledge and incorporates information as appropriate.
- Participates in claims dispute resolution process as required.
- Periodically receives call and opens claim file.
- As required, provides back-up assistance to the Claims Administrative Support.
- Carries out other related tasks and projects as assigned.
- Education: Post-secondary diploma in business or related courses, programs, licenses (insurance related) and/or equivalent work experience.
- Experience: 1 to 3 years in a claims or insurance environment
- Technical: MS Office
- Ability to work a shift rotation (depending on opening hours)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to handle irate people and stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and be flexible to changing business needs
- Excellent listening skills
- Troubleshooting methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and with other team members
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive when dealing with issues and challenges
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
- CIP designation
- Second language
We aspire to be one of the best places to work for those who value integrity, teamwork and sustainability. Each of us will grow personally and professionally by doing engaging work with inspiring people.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- claims or insurance: 1 year (Required)