Infrastructure Services is responsible for providing cost-effective management and supply of IT operations to core government ministries, program managers and government employees. Information Technology Services is also responsible for understanding the business objectives, future directions and unique requirements of the programs it supports.
Infrastructure Services provides services to 19 core government ministries, several Crown corporations and broader public sector organizations, and over 30,000 government employees. In support of government objectives to lower costs and improve service delivery, these clients have formed a partnership with Information Technology Services to receive reliable and cost-effective services for the benefit of the citizens and businesses they serve across British Columbia.
The Configuration Management (CMS) Analyst position is accountable for Configuration Management for both Hardware and Software ensuring compliance with software publisher license agreements. This includes developing CMS policies and processes including licensing templates/checklists.
This position reports to the Service Management Lead who reports to the Director of Service Management. The CMS Analyst is a key stakeholder and will engage and liaise with internal teams and partners, project teams and third party support groups as required, providing expertise to assess and assist in maintaining asset tracking including appropriate software licenses. The CMS Analyst works with Procurement to ensure that Advanced Solutions has the most efficient licensing model and the correct number of licenses to support its business operations.
Subject Matter Expert in all aspects of configuration management including asset management, software licensing, compliance, software maintenance agreements and vendor licensing practices:
- Ensure and maintain expertise and advise Product Owners, Managers, IT Senior Management and other key stakeholders on configuration (asset) management methods, processes, best practices, technologies and tools.
- Represent Advanced Solutions with IT Asset Management professional associations and user groups.
- Manages business impact of the Configuration Management systems changes, including leading the development and presentation of user training and educational materials, and leading meetings to resolve problems related to CMS changes and linkages.
- Meets with managers to identify how CMS can be used more effectively to resolve business and/or technological issues and collaboratively establishes strategic plans that will drive substantive change to existing systems and business processes.
- Conducts investigations of possible CMS solutions including incorporating untested concepts, identifying internal and external impacts and linkages, and consulting with other systems professionals.
- Conducts CMS business needs assessments, data collection, and technology research, and analyzes options, risks, cost benefits and support requirements of various proposed solutions.
- Facilitates meetings with management and staff to resolve issues concerned with proposed systems / program changes.
- Manage enterprise wide IT assets enforcing proper asset tracking policies and guidelines to ensure conformance.
- Conduct internal asset audits to identify variances between the Asset system of record and deployed assets; ensure deployed asset data aligns with Asset System; rectify variances between deployed assets and asset system.
- Develop asset management policies, processes and guideline to ensure compliance.
Software Compliance Management:
- Manage enterprise wide compliance with all software license agreements and copyright law by monitoring and enforcing proper software usage policies and guidelines to ensure that there is no non-conformance.
- Read and understand software licenses to ensure Advanced Solutions is in compliance; take corrective action if necessary.
- Conduct internal software audits to identify variances between deployed and licensed software; ensure deployed software aligns with the quantity and licensing models purchased; rectify variances between deployed and licensed software.
- Manage vendor compliance audits as required.
- Develop software policies, processes and guideline to ensure compliance.
- Work with all levels of Advanced Solutions management to resolve compliancy issues.
- Avoid excessive or unwarranted software usage.
Software License Management:
- Oversee the purchase of all software licenses; ensure appropriate quantities and licensing models are purchased, determine contract requirements, ensure orders are placed and validate proper payment.
- Ensure adequate number and usage of licenses by monitoring, analyzing and optimizing.
- Work with Product Owners/Managers in negotiating license reductions/increases as necessary due to usage.
- Ensure retention of all proof-of-license documentation.
- Develop license templates/checklists, assess and participate in negotiating new software vendor license agreements, negotiate changes to existing agreements.
- Evaluate and recommend options to reduce licensing costs.
- Assist with the completion of Business Requirements, Business Cases, Project Charters and Proposals on new initiatives relative to licensing as required.
- Liaise with Product Owners/Managers, Inventory Management and business representatives to ensure proper tracking of all software product deployed to ensure Advanced Solutions has sufficient licenses.
- Assist IT management in establishing license and associated maintenance agreements consistent with Advanced Solution’s current and planned usage, as well as industry practice.
- Research, evaluate, recommend and implement methods, policies, processes, best practices, techniques, technologies and tools for software license management.
Manage Vendor Relationships:
- Create, build and maintain open partnerships and relations with major software publishers to ensure maximum value for all agreements.
Perform Other Related Duties:
- Assist Advanced Solutions leadership with various planning activities.
- Participate in the planning or coordination of special projects.
- Supervises staff including assignment of work, development and evaluation of performance plans and approval of leave.
Education and Experience
- Degree in a related field (e.g. computing science, business) and three years of related experience; or Diploma in a related field (e.g. computing science, business) and four years of related experience; or Certificate in a related field (e.g. computing science, business) or program completion, or some course work, and five years of related experience; or six years of related experience;
- Experience providing quality review analysis of financial statements to ensure compliance with project budget and goals;
- Experience supervising and motivating a team to deliver high-risk projects and leading direct reports, contracted resources, as well as other staff resources using the ability to influence without authority;
- Certified Software Manager Certification is desired (e.g. IAITAM certification);
- IT Configuration Management and Discovery Tools experience;
- Experience interpreting licensing terms and conditions. Proficient understanding of financial concepts and practices as they relate to software license and contract management;
- Expertise in software license management, especially in interpreting contract language and compliance; and
- Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of ITIL;
- Ability to communicate concisely, both verbal and written at a level consistent with the audience’s level of understanding;
- Superior organizational, analytical and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills (including presentation skills);
- Process and results oriented;
- Expertise in contract management, especially in contract negotiations;
- Excellent knowledge of how software usage supports business functions and processes;
- Fundamental knowledge of inventory management processes and techniques;
- Proficient with the MS Office Suite of tools, especially Word and Excel;
- Proficient with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for developing queries and monitor usage information for deployed software products;
- Proficient with or working knowledge of other proprietary reporting and discovery tools used for software license management and compliance; and
- Working knowledge of asset management databases technologies and Service Management tools, i.e. Service Now.
The full job description and posting are available on our website: https://www.dxcas.com/index.php/careers/current-opportunities
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $78,502.34 to $89,658.13 /year