The Health & Safety Specialist is responsible for all aspects of the effective implementation of the Safety Management System and for providing leadership in the continuous improvement of the Safety Management System.
- Administer the Health Safety & Environment Management System, including reviewing and writing policies and procedures to ensure they are aligned with HS&E regulations and codes.
- Provide support and guidance in the investigation of high severity incidents; facilitate route cause analysis and coordinate the implementation of corrective actions.
- Conduct audits to ensure that all required reports (i.e. jobsite inspection reports, incident/accident reports, tailgate meeting minutes) are completed by workers, field supervisors and sub-contractors.
- Perform periodic site inspections for compliance with HS&E regulations, including hazard analysis, safe work procedures, written reports, and recommendations.
- Provide support for senior management and field supervisors in their efforts to maintain and follow the management system.
- Establish and maintain contacts with clients, industry, and government, and work with these groups to improve safety within the industry.
- Assist Project Safety Team with general, pre-job and weekly safety meetings where practical.
- Supply information and provide guidance regarding meeting structure and content.
- Develop and maintain emergency response plans, standards, procedures, as well as, site-specific and corporate work plans.
- Track, plan, and facilitate training programs for employees to facilitate compliance.
- Manage achievement of certification from regulatory agencies such as, COR, ISNetworld, and ISO.
- Maintain incident management software, tracking, and trending of data. Identify leading and lagging indicators prompting development of awareness materials.
- Supervise, mentor, train, and develop safety personnel.
- Provide guidance to on-site safety team for all safety related issues.
In addition to these duties personnel are required to carry out such other duties as may be reasonably required in order to support the objectives of the company.
- Occupational Health & Safety Certificate
- Possess or actively pursue Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation
10+ years of experience in a safety related position in the oil & gas construction industry
6-8 years of experience in a safety management role in a related industry (i.e. pipeline construction, facility construction)
Skills and Knowledge
Understanding of the oil and gas pipeline construction industry.
Understanding of Occupational Health & Safety Acts, Regulations and Codes (mostly Alberta and British Columbia) and how it pertains to daily field tasks.
Ability to represent the Company in front of the Client in a professional and courteous manner.
Ability to effectively communicate in large crowd settings.
Ability to maintain a professional attitude in high pressure settings.
Ability to read and understand relevant documentation pertaining the successful and safe completion of each project (legislation and other industry specific standards/practices).
Proven understanding of the effective management of incidents, and near hits.
Familiarity with relevant construction codes, standards, and practices.
Strong communication, teamwork, analysis, judgment, and project support skills.
Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
This position is based in our permanent Calgary office and involves periodic project site visits.
The Health & Safety Specialist reports to the Director of Health, Safety and Environment.
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.