Reporting to the Executive Director, the Casual Call-In Preparator supports the Senior Preparator as needed in the installation and de-installation of exhibitions and with the arrival and departure of exhibitions and loans related to the Gallery’s exhibition program. From time to time, the Preparator may be required to assist with the preparation of works of art for exhibitions and exhibition maintenance; building containers for loan shipments and performing related work as required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to installation and de-installation of exhibitions, matting, framing, packing, shipping, receiving of artworks. The Preparator must be knowledgeable of basic techniques for the safe care, handling and storing of artworks and to be able to perform basic carpentry and electrical work as well as maintain and upgrade the exhibition galleries (patch, repair and painting of walls etc.). General knowledge of and familiarity with the operation of electronic devices and computer technologies used by artists in exhibition contexts including DVD, video and film projection are an asset. Valid Scissor Lift license is required.
Qualifications are as follows:
- Secondary school graduation diploma
- Technical college training desirable
- Knowledge of one or more manual trades such as carpentry, electrical and/or painting
- Valid Driver’s License
- Thorough knowledge of preparing works of art for display
- Thorough knowledge of cleaning frames, matting frames and hanging exhibitions
- Thorough knowledge of wood working, metal working, casting and electrical circuits
- Considerable knowledge of designing, fabrications, construction and installation of museum exhibits
- Substantial knowledge of artistic material and processes, as well as display and lighting techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, tactful, and courteous working relationships with supervisor, fellow employees, artists, and the general public
After 6 Months (900 Hours):
After 1 Year (1,800 Hours):
This classification is part of the Art Gallery of Windsor’s Collective Agreement with The Canadian Union of Public Employees
Please submit your letter of interest and resume to Thomas Boucher in confidence.
The Art Gallery of Windsor
Thomas Boucher, Manager of Financial Services & HR Assistant
401 Riverside Drive West Windsor, Ontario N9A 7J1
August 1, 2019