Reporting to the General Manager, this position will be responsible the daily/weekly/monthly workforce forecasts are met within the parameters of the budget, volume and customer needs.
The Distribution Manager is responsible for the direct management and handling of all distribution functions. This includes accountability for inbound and outbound freight, as well as adherence to legislative, safety, and organizational policies and procedures. The Distribution Manager will accomplish effective logistical oversight through strong leadership and decision-making skills.
The Distributions manager supports the operations manager by overseeing the efficient operation of the Distribution Centre to ensure all operational functions are completely and properly performed by the staff while conveying a feeling of trust, service, security and satisfaction to customer and staff. Responsible, at various points, for overseeing the receiving, storing, picking, packing, and shipping of materials.
Job Duties and Essential Functions:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee daily functions of all employees in the Distribution Centre
- Manage inventory for receiving, distribution, placement, deliveries, and new product
- Daily/weekly/monthly workforce forecasting to meet budgetary/volume/customer needs.
- Improves branch operating procedures by analyzing current systems, modifying, creating, and/or eliminating processes to guarantee accurate and timely service
- Manage maintenance of forklifts in conjunction with the Maintenance Manager
· Prepare, maintain, communicate all operational Standard Operating Procedures.
· Monitor space utilization/layout and maximize usage/making recommendations.
- Maintains facility that is organized and meets tour quality standards at all times
· Maintain and control operating costs
· Manage, coach, mentor and develop staff to achieve prescribed objectives.
- Reinforce the Alexandria Moulding culture is being fostered in the facility
- Monitor and ensure departmental/facility performance metrics are met in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Ensure all orders are shipped to customers in a timely manner in adherence to delivery schedules
- Communicate all delays or variances in inbound/outbound freight to the appropriate parties.
- Keeps immediate superior promptly and fully formed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action which may be taken.
- Maintain strict control over inventory levels in order to meet internal and external demand of product.
- Plan warehouse layout and space requirements in order to prevent loss or damage, and to achieve full warehouse optimization.
- Take into account full implications of freight turnover, size, weight, and other factors when allocating warehouse space.
- Manage an annual budget or capital investment plan for warehousing functions across the organization.
- Determines standards of performance as a basis to review progress of personnel assigned.
- Ensures proper training of personnel assigned.
- Develops individuals and self for future advancement.
- Develop and/or enforce policies regarding security and safety in order to maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintain appropriate and complete documentation regarding regulated products and/or hazardous materials.
- Supervise a team of distribution employees, including hiring, delegation, training, performance evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination.
- Conduct periodic spot-checks of inventory levels, supplies, or equipment.
- Assess the need for, and arrange the purchase of, moving equipment like trailers, forklifts, crash pads, dollies, and so on.
- Identify discrepancies between inventory records and take action.
- Investigate causes of lost or damaged shipments and other matters; make adjustments where necessary.
- Implement and monitor performance metrics for shipping and receiving.
- Supervise facility design, improvements, and contracts, including real estate transactions, leases, repairs, and design.
- Other duties as assigned
Required cognitive and psychological characteristics:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, employees, customers, and the general public.
- A proven track record of mentoring and developing promote ability with direct reports and subordinates
- Ability to interact effectively at multiple levels, in support of our customer relationships; demonstrated self-confidence, particularly with client relationship building skills.
- Be personable, articulate, knowledgeable and professional in presenting self to clients
- Team leadership and teambuilding abilities
- Good financial and business awareness
- Ability to interpret and act upon complex instructions
- Solid project management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good financial and business awareness.
- Strong written and verbal skills to communicate with all levels of the organization and its executive team.
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills.
- Team leadership and teambuilding abilities.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills, diplomacy, and tact.
- Persuasive, motivational, and persistent.
- Excellent planning and resource allocation skills
· BA/BS or Engineering degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred but not required.
· Experience working/managing in a unionized environment is an asset.
· Five (5) plus years in a management role
· Five (5) plus years supply chain management experience in Distribution or Consumer Products Industry.
· Five (5) plus years’ experience in a logistics environment utilizing a WMS and RF technology.
· Five (5) plus years of experience in a fast-paced, large volume, high-intensity environment, with strong focus on meeting/exceeding measurable metrics.
· Previous experience in a returns/reverse operation preferred.
· Three (3) plus years’ experience managing full profit and loss financials.
· Three (3) plus years’ experience implementing continuous improvement programs.
· Technical competency in Six Sigma skills: DMAIC, DFSS, Lean, Kaizen/Work-out, process management, change management and advanced statistical analysis a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
Must have a focus on safety and adherence to site safety rules
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Management: 5 years (Required)
- Supply Chain: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Alexandria, ON (Required)