The Junior Project Engineer will work as a member of the Product Development team assisting in design and development activities. Areas of focus will include SolidWorks part and assembly modeling and drafting in accordance with internal standards, creating product documentation and supporting Engineering PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) activities. They will also assist in the areas of conceptual design, in-house and field validation testing, detailed product design, and product launch activities. Technical oversight will be provided by Senior Engineering and the Technology Office group. The Junior Project Engineer may act as a project manager at times and responsibilities will include project management; specifically, for the execution of the NPD process which includes planning the project task schedule, organizing resources to execute the deliverables and maintaining records in accordance to the New Product Development (NPD) process and ISO 9001-2015 requirements.
Additionally, they will interface with several organizational groups throughout the NPD process including Product Line Management, Engineering Services, Manufacturing, Procurement, Quality, Sales, Field Services and Delivery to ensure project execution. The Junior Project Engineer will also collaborate with the Product Support and Product Specialist teams ensuring that adequate training and documentation is available, assist in customer issues and investigative activities once Products have launched.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Able to develop a deep technical understanding of existing Volant products
· Conduct conceptual and detailed designs including part and assembly modeling and drafting
· Develop design basis to support parametric evaluations of component and system limits and interactions
· Establish required validation testing requirements in conjunction with Engineering Services and Field Services groups and customer input
· As project manager, develop project plan and resource needs while setting accountabilities for the NPD Team
· Resolve specification issues, handle correspondence, provide updates, ensure customer satisfaction and coordinate staff as appropriate while acting as project manager
· Collaborate with NPD Team to ensure project milestones are completed as planned
· Complete deliverables as outlined in the NPD process in conjunction with ISO 9001-2015 requirements
· Interface with Procurement and Manufacturing personnel to provide support for prototype realization
· Collaborate with Product Support, Product Specialist and Field Services teams to assist with technical support or guidance to external customers or internal field services personnel, as well as assisting in developing training materials on new product as required
· Assess prototype non-conformances during Manufacturing as required. Determine the reason for the non-conformance and take required action as appropriate. This may involve modifying drawings or specifications, liaising with other department personnel, etc.
· Travel may be required to lead field trials in collaboration with other Volant personnel
· Comply with all change management practices and systems pertaining to engineering information within the PLM system
· Work within and promote a culture of team work and continuous improvement within the engineering team as well as across departmental teams
· Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures, including but not limited to all Health and Safety and Quality Management initiatives
· Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
This role is aimed at individuals who are eager to use their engineering skills and knowledge from University and apply them to imagine and develop concepts and products relevant to the oil and gas industry. A degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related degree with a strong mechanical component) is required. The incumbent must be registered as an Engineer In Training or Professional Engineer in Alberta.
Must have a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles and can take a holistic view of engineering systems. A keen desire for scientific curiosity and enthusiasm in exploring challenging engineering problems and new initiatives.
Preference will be given to those with strong oral and written communication skills, numerical or finite element analysis experience, and mechanical aptitude. Experience in the oil and gas industry is valuable but not required.
Experience with SolidWorks is essential.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent