About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
JOB ID #:
Senior Procurement Specialist
Financial Services Taxation & Corporate Controller
120 King Street, Hamilton
NUMBER OF VACANCIES:
1 Full-Time Regular
CUPE Local 1041 Supv
HOURS Of WORK:
35.00 per week
$43.107 - $47.897 per hour
- Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
Job Description ID #:
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reports to the Procurement Manager. Under technical and administrative direction, performs professional work of unusual difficulty in the analytical, compliance and operational functions of the centralized procurement activities of the City. Will be responsible and accountable for the distribution and quality of work performed by Procurement Specialists by providing technical and administrative supervision and guidance for task accomplishment. Accountable to approve procurements in accordance with authority delegated by the Manager and in compliance with the applicable by-laws. The employee performs a variety of assignments which includes, but are not limited to: procurement of goods and services, research and analysis of markets, trends, prices, costs, department needs and other related factors as well as development of term contracts and review of term contracts to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures. The employee exercises reasonable initiative and independent judgement in achieving objectives, planning work details monitoring the quality of work produced by the Procurement Specialist and making technical decisions. Supervises and/or coordinates all activities for their procurement team, involved with procuring goods and services for corporate contracts for the City of Hamilton.
Through managing the quality and quantity of work of the Procurement Specialist ensure the timely procurement of supplies, equipment and services needed by the City of Hamilton in accordance with the City’s Procurement Policy By-Law and all other applicable laws, policies and procedures.
Is accountable for maintaining the integrity of the public procurement process as outlined in the Purchasing Policy By-Law.
In conjunction with using Client Departments, formulate strategic procurement plans for the City in order to maximize buying power and minimize inefficiencies including the development of annual and multiyear work plans for procurement needs.
Research market sources and vendors to locate and ensure the most cost effective and competitive pricing for the purchase procurement of goods and services.
Perform large-scale centralized procurement and/or administration for corporate contracts. Conduct negotiations with suppliers on proposals, contracts and contract claims.
Organize and chair task groups (commodity oriented) including Client Departments with similar requirements, to develop specifications for goods and services required and to resolve problem issues; conducts needs analysis with respect to commodity requirements within Client Departments.
Create value analysis, life-cycle costing analysis and weighted evaluation factors for goods and services purchased.
In conjunction with the Client Department, identify and develop vendor performance criteria, tracks and monitors vendor’s performance concerning quality of goods and services; documents and reports to suppliers regarding corrective action.
Plan, administer and execute the buying procedure including preparing request for tenders/proposals, reviewing specifications for Policy compliance, coordinating workplace health and safety, legal and risk results with the Client Department.
Receive, review and evaluate proposal and tender submissions for compliance and recommends the award of contracts. Within delegated authority, make determination with respect to bid protests.
Ensure that the procurement process is followed as outlined in the solicitation document and that the evaluation and recommendation for award is in accordance with the solicitation.
Review and approve request for exceptions to the standard Procurement Policy process as allowed under council approved Procurement Policy By-Law.
Represent the Procurement Section at meetings with other City departments, suppliers and other public agencies.
Effectively communicate procurement policies and procedures to City personnel and interprets said policies and procedures as necessary.
Develop operational procedures governing the research, planning and analysis of corporate contracts. Continuously reviews policies and procedures governing procurement in order to improve upon and standardize the process. Develop, implement and monitor ordering systems and procedures as required.
Establish standard contract clauses used in City contracts, solicitations, and purchase orders. Prepare and oversee the preparation of contractual documents with vendors.
Prepare all correspondence related to request for tenders and proposals including: spreadsheets, letters, emails, reports, forms, notifications, council recommendations and reports, purchase orders and presentations. Prepare or oversee correspondence and ensures effective public relations with vendors, Client Departments and procurement personnel.
Responsible for conducting the performance reviews of the Procurement Specialist, including developing goals for the upcoming year. Responsible for the hiring, staff development plans, and discipline of staff with the support of the Manager.
Delegate authority and assign work to Procurement Specialist commensurate with their qualifications and existing workload. Review the work of staff to ensure compliance with applicable laws, policies and procedures.
Conduct training of new employees through job shadowing of the procedures and techniques required in their performance of their duties. Assist staff by providing technical guidance and direction. Serve as a public procurement advisor and technical expert to City management.
Respond to inquiries from customers, contractors, elected officials and public on procurement policies, procedures, services, products, tenders and proposals.
Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
1. Graduate of a minimum three year program from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Business Law, Finance, Procurement or closely related field. Procurement designation and/or completed four courses towards designation is preferred. (Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) or Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP).)
2. Progressively responsible experience in procurement with a proven performance record along with demonstrated leadership experience in providing technical and administrative guidance and coordinating the work of others.
3. Ability to provide strong leadership and direction, clearly defining objectives and motivating employees to accomplish department responsibilities. Ability to promote collaborative working environment.
4. Demonstrated ability to develop effective and cooperative working relationships within the procurement team, with the Client Departments, peers and vendors.
5. Determines and co-ordinates the daily work programs by planning, organizing, supervising and scheduling of work activities for their procurement team.
6. Provides consistent performance management and feedback to their procurement team including motivation, supervision, interviewing, hiring, discipline, guidance and counsel.
7. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including the ability to convey complex and technical subjects in a clear, concise and positive manner.
8. Demonstrates commitment to the city’s values through demonstration of integrity and a high sense of personal and professional ethics.
9. Demonstrated ability to problem solve, trouble shoot, strategize, schedule, analyse and plan for self and unit
10. Working knowledge of related business practices including principles of accounting, budgeting and statistics as they relate to procurement activities required.
11. Comprehensive knowledge of laws, policies and procedures governing public procurement along with knowledge of contract law is required.
12. Demonstrated to be self sufficient administratively with a high level of technical proficiency with the Office software products including advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
13. Demonstrated knowledge and skill in project and program management.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.