The Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) is responsible for the safe, long-term
management of used nuclear fuel in Canada. The approach it is implementing, known as
Adaptive Phased Management (APM), involves developing a centralized underground repository,
supported by a robust social and technical research program in collaboration with Canadian
universities, consultants and international waste management organizations.
Join our growing team of scientists, engineers and other professionals to work collaboratively with
Canadians in implementing our management approach in a manner that safeguards people and
respects the environment, now and in the future.
Graphic Designer – (Temporary 1 Year Term)
We are currently seeking an experienced Graphic Designer to join our energetic and fast-paced
Stakeholder Relations team. Reporting to our Multimedia Communications Supervisor at our
Toronto headquarters, the successful candidate would be responsible for planning and executing
graphic design for corporate communication materials.
Working in accordance with prescribed safety procedures and regulations, provide graphic
design services for internal clients.
1. Meet and interact with internal clients to gather relevant information and determine
graphic needs including the message the design should portray and its intended appeal,
deadlines and approvals required. Based on the briefing(s), by consulting with the
Multimedia Communications Supervisor and performing independent research, as
necessary, plan and execute designs for the target audience.
2. Develop the overall layout and production design of NWMO corporate communication
material including newsletters, annual and corporate reports, advertisement, signs and
signage, displays and premium items consistent with brand and visual identity standards.
Consult with writers on any text (English and French) that accompanies the design. Work
with other department staff to coordinate with printers in the production of
communications materials. Review printer proofs to ensure alignment with designs
before the final print run.
3. Develop and support the design aspects of NWMO web page changes. Develop,
source and update images (infographics, diagrams, photographs, etc.) for display on
web pages. Develop graphics for interactive media and multimedia projects, and create
graphs and charts from data for use in NWMO communications. Develop videos and
animations for social media. Support design requirements associated with NWMO
corporate events and engagement activities (invitations and attendee materials,
4. Work with other department staff to establish and maintain NWMO’s photo
library. Ensure photographs are catalogued and filed correctly.
5. Keep abreast of best practices in graphic design and video.
6. Attend meetings to review and discuss the status of projects, work plan updates and to
discuss and clarify project requirements and production schedules.
7. Perform other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- 3 year college diploma in graphic design, visual arts or a related field.
- Experience in graphic design, visual arts or a related field.
- Advanced skills in Adobe CS6 Suite or CC primarily in Illustrator, Photoshop and
InDesign (Premiere, After Effects an asset).
- Knowledge of best practices in graphic design, print and video.
- Able to understand and consistently execute brand and visual identity standards.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Power Point.
- Able to manage competing priorities under pressure within tight timeframes.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Knowledge of graphic design and printing processes to help manage production of
- Basic knowledge in HTML, CSS and Content Management such as Wordpress.
- Strong photography skills would be an asset.
- Experience shooting/editing video footage and developing animated videos would be an
- An ability to conceptualize easily, learn quickly and demonstrate initiative in developing
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of internal
You must be eligible to work in Canada and must be able to meet security clearance
requirements. We offer a competitive base salary package.
The NWMO supports the principles and practices of diversity and is committed to providing a
respectful, accessible, and inclusive environment for all persons with disabilities in a way that is
respectful of the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and in a manner which takes
into account the person’s disability and embodies the principles of integration and equal
opportunity. The NWMO will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you require
accommodation, please Contact Us.
Please submit your application by July 23, 2019 via e-mail quoting Graphic Designer