Schooner Transport requires a qualified, full-time Dispatcher / Logistics Coordinator to align & schedule the movement & loading of, monitor & provide assistance as necessary to our tractor-trailer drivers operating a fleet of large highway bulk liquid tankers (fuel & asphalt). Our clients are located throughout Ontario & Quebec.
The Dispatcher / Logistics Coordinator will plan and execute the day-to-day activities of their assigned fleet.
The ‘fleet’ includes our team of drivers as well as the equipment (tractors & tankers) they operate.
Typically this involves scheduling deliveries a day in advance, determining what products are to be loaded into the various compartments within each tanker, coordinating with the maintenance garage to ensure equipment is ready & available, being mindful of individual driver’s working days & hours of service and of course assigning work; - the loading & delivery of fuel and asphalt products to clients.
Responsibilities also include near real-time monitoring of the fleet (using various technologies including satellite tracking), accurately updating & distributing information to our drivers as needed.
The Logistics Coordinator must be very well organized, be able to proactively solve problems, be an excellent communicator, thrive in a ‘team’ environment, and always keep in mind the company’s promise to its clients of on-time delivery.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide outstanding service primarily through the on-time loading & delivery of fuel & asphalt products to our clients by optimizing load capacity, asset utilization and routing for all trips
- Proactively & creatively solve problems as they arise
- Transmitting & receiving all information relevant to the team
- Proactively manage a positive working relationship with our drivers & maintenance personnel
- Perform data entry and verify that transportation information is accurately recorded in the system (Dispatch Mate)
- Perform various clerical and administrative duties relating to loading & deliveries
- Reporting / documenting all client services provided
- Review and approve ‘wait-times’
- Manage the logistics of all client’s product levels and oversee the dispatch of equipment (tractors & tankers) to assure that movements are handled in a timely manner
- Effectively leads the drivers by setting an example in behavior, values & duties
- Enforce all company rules, policies & procedures related to employee and client conduct
- Visibly demonstrate a commitment to ‘safety’ by stringently following all safety & health procedures and modeling the behaviors related to such
- Assist other team members by providing additional support or coverage as needed (i.e. “work as a team”)
- Compile reports for review by management
- Other duties as required
- Reporting to the Operations Manager
Our Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Ideally, dedicated experience (minimum 2 years) providing dispatching / logistical support in the highway tractor-trailer / logistics industry.
- Knowledge & understanding of "hours of service" regulations for commercial motor vehicles as they apply to long-range, highway truck-transportation, including the purpose & use of driver's logs, etc. considered a definite asset
- ** Being bilingual (English & French) will be considered an important asset
- ** Must be currently living in the greater Ottawa / Gatineau region.
- Strong organizational & planning skills, including a demonstrated attention to detail
- Able to proactively solve problems with minimal supervision
- An excellent communicator with a keen sense of timeliness
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act as it applies to highway tractor-trailers
- Experience with Dispatch Mate will be considered a definite asset
- This position requires an individual who is adaptable; self-motivated, results driven and a team player
- Proficient / competent using office & computer-based systems (Microsoft Office Suite)
- ** Must already be able to work in Canada and currently living in the greater Ottawa / Gatineau region **
We offer competitive monetary compensation and a Health Benefits package
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Starting Salary: $ 50,000 (subject to annual review)
Schooner Transport is a bulk liquid transportation company operating a fleet of fuel & asphalt tankers.
For more information about our company, please visit: www.schoonertransport.com
** Interested parties must include a letter of introduction highlighting why they would be an ideal candidate for this role, along with their resume.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- On-site parking
- Do you currently reside in the greater Ottawa / Gatineau region?
- Dispatching: 1 year (required)