Position: Naturalist Assistant
Reports to: Program Operations Manager
Start Date: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
Hours and Location: Part-time, Seasonal (May-October) on Cortes Island
Wage: $15/Hr, 3-12 hours/week.
Hollyhock exists to inspire, nourish, and support people making the world better. From our humble beginnings in 1982 as a project of Greenpeace founders and human potential movement leaders, Hollyhock has been transforming North American society for over 37 years. Hollyhock catalyzes connection, personal growth, and progressive social change. We run about 100 programs and conferences per year on our Cortes Island campus and in Vancouver, BC.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Program Operations Manager, the Naturalist Assistant provides support for Guided Nature Hikes, Morning Rows, Oyster Appetizer BBQs and other events provided by the Program Operations department.
You love nature, and sharing your knowledge of flora and fauna with those around you. You love a good long hike in the forest, swim in the lagoon or paddle on the ocean. You enjoy beach barbecues, and have experience shucking oysters and building a campfire. You care about the safety of yourself and others, and have the training and skills to assist someone in need of basic first aid. You are professional, respectful, organized, and highly reliable. You communicate cordially with guests at all times and have an ability to work enthusiastically and cooperatively as part of a team. You enjoy being part of an organization that promotes health, wellness and personal growth in the development of strong social leaders and change makers.
- Provide support for all Oyster Appetizer BBQ’s (fire building, BBQ setup, oyster shucking, greeting guests, cleanup).
- Assist in Guided Nature Hikes & provide meaningful interpretation to our guests, staff and volunteers on natural and cultural history topics pertinent to Cortes Island and area.
- Ensure safety of guests and administer First Aid as required.
- Assist in Morning Row
- Confirm staffing needs are met for special Naturalist activities
- Ensure safety of guests and staff is maintained at all times, and that departmental procedures are followed.
- Other duties as assigned
- First Aid Certification & willingness to follow safety protocols at all times.
- Extensive knowledge of the natural history of Coastal British Columbia and a keen interest in learning about the history of Cortes Island
- Excellent communication and hospitality skills.
- Willing and eager to interact positively with a range of age groups, from small children to seniors
- Strong time management skills and superior reliability
- Physically fit - able to lift 30+lbs, hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 hours, row a boat, and shuck oysters.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License with a safe driving record.
- Guided Nature hikes take place on Cortes Island trails in areas of heavy forest and uneven terrain, during various types of weather conditions from May-October.
- Morning Rows depart from the Hollyhock beachfront in the early morning, and involve walking in water, rowing in water, assisting guests in entering/exiting the boat, serving snacks on land and mooring boat at the end of the journey.
- Oyster Appetizer BBQ’s occur 1-2 times/week, from 4:30-7:30, and involve delivery of supplies to BBQ area using a golf cart, carrying heavy loads of oysters and ice, assisting in startup of BBQ fire, shucking oysters, cooking oysters over a hot fire, safe disposal and cleanup of area following event.
- Events are scheduled on weekdays, weekends, and some statutory holidays and involve shifts in the early morning, afternoon and early evening.
- Ensure Hollyhock Naturalist safety procedures (provided by supervisor) are followed through the season.
- Ensure preparedness of program with any necessary materials and confidence in guiding the group in a safe manner at all times.
- Report accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager and fill out incident reports in a timely fashion.
- Visually inspect vehicles, boats, equipment, or tools to notice any potentially issues that may
- Attend monthly safety meetings.
This position is open until it is filled. Please get your application in as soon as possible.
Apply with your resume and cover letter.
Please note: only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Hollyhock is committed to creating a fair and respectful environment that protects and promotes human rights. Hollyhock believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- wilderness guide, first aid certificate: 1 year (Preferred)