We are seeking a legal assistant with a minimum of 2 years of demonstrated work experience. The ideal candidate will have experience in personal injury law and accident benefits, either defence or plaintiff. The assistant will report to the Director of Legal Claims and provide administrative support to counsel defending files representing RSA or its policyholders in tort, property, accident benefits and general insurance litigation matters.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing new legal department at RSA Canada in the Mississauga, Ontario location!
Keeping You Moving
RSA is one of the world’s leading multinational insurance groups with over 300 years of experience and over 20 million customers worldwide.Our people are committed to building a dynamic internal culture where our people love what they do and feel motivated to keep things moving – for customers, for their colleagues and as part of their own growth and development. In RSA, employing positive people is how we achieve success. You will be working in an environment that encourages you to do great work and you constantly will be faced with fresh challenges that have a direct impact on our business. We believe your personality and passion will keep RSA and our business moving forward. At RSA we have a culture that supports and rewards high performance with a competitive reward policy for top performers. Our rewards package includes competitive compensation, work / life balance, opportunities to learn and the chance to make a difference working for a worldwide industry leader.At RSA Canada, our purpose is to Make Life Better Together and we do that every day through our commitments to our people, our customers and our partners. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, fair, and accessible environment where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential and where everyone feels comfortable being their true selves. We hire on the basis of merit and we are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, as well as equal access to training and promotion opportunities.
Who you are
Your enthusiasm is infectious. You challenge the status quo. You find solutions to problems. You go the extra mile to exceed customers’ expectations. You get things done the right way. You represent our brand with passion and pride. You are a team player. You have fun and you make work fun for those working around you.
What you will achieve in this role
As a legal assistant you will be responsible for maintaining and organizing litigated insurance files from opening to closing in an in-house setting. In this role:
- You will use your strong communication skills as you deal with clients, counsel, adjusters and other parties
- You have a demonstrated ability to prepare various correspondence, Affidavit of Documents, Motion Records, Mediation Memos, Medical Briefs, etc.
- You are able to schedule Examinations for Discovery and various court appearances efficiently
- You are able to prioritize and complete to-do’s and maintain a legal database accurately
- You are able to work with counsel assisting in trial preparation
- Administratively you will also be required to complete filing, photocopying, scanning, faxing and other general administrative assistant duties
What you bring to this role
- Legal Assistant or Law Clerk Certificate
- Minimum of 2 years experience as an insurance defence legal assistant
- Working knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure and court procedures
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage own workflow
- Ability to handle multiple files and associated tasks with applicable deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and client skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a team oriented environment
- This role will reflect the successful candidate's experience level
Applicants agree that by providing personal information in response to this ad, and otherwise in any recruitment process with RSA or its affiliated companies (the “Company”) such personal information may be retained and used for a period of one (1) year from the date of this application, for the purpose of consideration for employment opportunities which may arise during that time period, unless an applicant notifies the Company to the contrary.We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.We invite you to learn more about us at our Career Site, www.rsagroup.ca, where you can apply on line. RSA group of Companies is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities, members of the LGBT community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.RSA group of Companies will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email AODA@RSAGROUP.CA or call us at toll free 1 (800)-855-0511. Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.