Job Description: Finance and Administrative Coordinator (0.7FTE)
This position supports financial decision-making and overall operations of PBLA. The Finance and Administrative Coordinator is responsible for administering the financial records, systems and processes of PBLA, including accounting, bookkeeping, records management, banking and all related financial administration. The Finance and Administrative Coordinator is also responsible for the organization and coordination of office operations, procedures and resources to facilitate organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
This is a part-time position (24.5 hours/week) located in Calgary, Alberta.
This is both a book-keeping and administrative support role.
The Finance and Administrative Coordinator reports to and provides accounting and administrative support to the Executive Director. The Finance and Administrative Coordinator also provides administrative support and assistance to the Board of Directors and other PBLA staff and programs when required.
· Purchase, monitor and administer office supplies
· Retrieve regular mail and assist with responding to general enquiries
· Make bank deposits and arrange for cheque signing and mailing
· Vendor, contractor and building management liaison
· Maintain PBLA vendors filing systems
· Maintain internal planning calendars for financial and operational purposes
· Minute-taking for staff and board meetings
Accounting and Financial Reporting
· Perform book-keeping functions including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, deposits, bank reconciliation and payroll
· Record, file and maintain complete and accurate supporting documentation for all financial transactions
· Prepare all supporting information for annual audits and liaise with external auditors as necessary
· Attending to mail and banking, including bookkeeping backup records, receipts and invoices
· Donor management and coordination, including distributing receipts and thank you cards and letters
· Maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports in accordance with Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations (ASNPO)
· Prepare internal financial reports including Profit & Loss Statements, Balance Sheet, Cash flow forecast, and periodic budget to actual comparisons as requested
· Prepare annual reports to Corporate Registry, Canada Revenue Agency and others
Budgets and Forecasting
· Assist the Executive Director in preparing the Annual Budget in consultation with the Treasurer
· Maintain accurate historical budget and forecast preparation records
· Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation
· Maintain and complete regular financial analysis for the purpose of forecasting PBLA’s year-to-end results
· Prepare and submit financial sections of grant applications by applicable deadlines and attend meetings with funders, as required
· Enter budgets into QuickBooks
· Other general accounting duties as may be requested by management
· Track staff vacation and time-off requests
· Ensure payroll files are kept up to date
· Assist with preparation of new hire forms and other HR documents required for payroll
· Assist with posting of employment advertisements, receiving applications and scheduling job interviews
Other operational and program support, as needed.
· Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations (ASNPO)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a proven ability to edit and proofread
· High proficiency in working with relational databases, Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe PDF.
· High proficiency with accounting software, i.e. QuickBooks. Experience with grant management and/or fund development software, i.e. Salesforce is preferred but not required.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, a customer service orientation, and the ability to establish and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with staff, board and committee members, vendors, contractors, volunteers, the general public and stakeholders
· Have a high standard of ethics and morals
· Ability to identify objectives, set priorities, organize and establish procedures
· Ability to work in a changing and team-oriented environment
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive and private data
· Comfort with and aptitude for learning new technology systems
· Flexible, with a disposition to assist wherever needed
· Accounting or business diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
· 3 -5 years’ book-keeping and accounting experience.
· Knowledge and/or experience filing registered charity returns with Canada Revenue Agency is an asset.
· Experience with Not-for-Profit accounting is an asset.
· Non-profit experience preferred and/or interest in working in the non-profit sector
PBLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation package that is commensurate with industry standards and appropriate for a charitable organization of our size.
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter, résumé and two (2) written references through one of the following channels:
Pro Bono Law Alberta
Attention: Executive Director
301, 255 - 17 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB, T2S 2T8
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent