*About Habitat for Humanity Victoria
*Habitat for Humanity Victoria is a registered charity that brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. Ours is an equity-based solution, one we hope will lead to family stability, positive intergenerational change and a lift out of dependency on social subsidies.
Founded in 1990, Habitat Victoria has built 23 homes locally and served 27 families. This is simply not enough. Located in one of the highest cost real estate markets in Canada, Habitat for Humanity Victoria is an innovative, entrepreneurial charity and social enterprise on a growth trajectory, determined to make a measurable impact on the affordable housing needs in the region and to substantially increase its inventory of homes and the lives impacted by our program.
Habitat for Humanity Victoria is seeking a seasoned Land Development Manager to join their team. This position will report to the CEO and hold executive responsibility for all aspects of acquiring and developing Habitat Victoria’s property and build pipeline. Habitat Victoria’s unique positioning as both a residential developer and charity requires a Land
Development Manager who understands the real estate development and approvals processes of the different municipalities within the CRD, and who can devise creative solutions and broker relationships that enable the organization to realize a sustainable and affordable development pipeline.
Leveraging significant personal knowledge of land acquisition, deal structuring and the full development / construction cycle, the Land Development Manager and will work in partnership with the CEO, Finance Manager and construction contractors to deliver a continuous and sustainable pipeline of development opportunities and home ownership solutions for working, lower income families. Habitat currently has 15 units (over three projects) in its land bank and desires to bring this to more than 100 over the next few years.
The successful candidate will have a desire to make a difference and have established a reputation and track record as a go-getter, entrepreneur, mediator, collaborator and convergent thinker. If you have significant knowledge of land acquisition, deal structuring and strong experience in the construction cycle, this could be the role for you!
Asthe Land Development Manager, you will have a profound difference on the impactof the organization in serving more families both now and in the future by:
- Working with the CEO to set land acquisition priorities and identifying, evaluating and securing land and build opportunities within Victoria and the surrounding areas.
- Leading and mentoring planning team and managing project consultants.
- Negotiating / structuring complex real estate / development transactions, including developer partnerships, contracting, and acquisition of land and assembly of properties for re-development.
- Building strong relationships with politicians and government staff and develop / execute a strategy for securing municipal support in the form of access to surplus land, concessions on government fees, development entitlements, developer partnerships, etc.
- Fostering and growing collaborative external relationships with Habitat Canada, other Habitat affiliates, the GVA building industry and associations (VRBA, VICA, BC Construction Association), the BC and Canadian Home Builder’s Association, the UDI, other affordable homeownership providers, and others to advance policy and forge new build partnerships.
- Providing executive leadership for the land development and approvals process for planning / design reviews and approval and ensuring best practices are followed in planning, urban design, architecture, and community engagement.
- Commanding all aspects of strata creation and registration as needed by Habitat build projects.
- Quarterbacking overall project management enabling coordinated organization-wide efforts on build projects from acquisition through occupancy.
- Supporting the CEO and Finance Manager in structuring and securing land and construction financing.
- Driving innovation, constantly connecting the dots between Habitat’s unique social enterprise model, its strong brand, and the realities and opportunities of advancing affordable housing in Victoria.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic manager with a track record ofsignificant achievements in residential / commercial real estate developmentand will possess the following qualifications:
- A university or college degree or equivalent (in urbanplanning, civil engineering or related specialty), and, ideally, some level offormal business education.
- Experience in the full real estatedevelopment cycle, including site analysis/selection, planning approvals, realestate finance, project budgeting, valuation, evaluating site servicingrequirements, assessing/managing community impacts, building/managingpublic/private sector partnerships, business planning, managing RFP processesand proposal review and selection, contract negotiation and constructionmanagement and controls.
- Extensive experience working with urbanand suburban real estate developers, engineering consultants, architects,planners, contractors, and municipal and provincial authorities with currentknowledge of relevant legislation affecting housing development and currentmarket knowledge in relation to construction costs and trends in theconstruction sector.
- Experience with the reuse of residentiallands, buildings and revitalization of residential areas as well as knowledgeof green building technologies and sustainable development.
- Proven business acumen, excellentnegotiating skills and the ability to project a professional image, developrespect and credibility, and display a high level of integrity, judgment andethics.
- Exceptional analytic, quantitative andproblem-solving skills.
- Ability to think in terms of the overallorganization and contribute effectively as a key member of the Habitat team.
- Extensive experience in projectmanagement, communication and issues management and the ability to ensure thesuccessful and timely completion of multiple projects.
- The ability to thrive and succeed in ahigh profile, charitable organization and relate well to a broad range ofstakeholders
- A passion like ours…to help put morefamilies into homes!
Experiencein the not-for-profit sector in a volunteer or staff role and a workingknowledge of affordable housing are highly desirable.
If this is an opportunity that you are interested in and you have theappropriate background, please forward your resume with your application. If you have any questions, please call our consultant, Kelly Chopty, at 250.734.4329.
We thankall applicants in advance for your interest, however, because of timeconstraints, only those under consideration will be contacted to move forward.
Job Type: Full-time
- Full Real Estate Cycle: 5 years (Preferred)
- Residential/Commercial Real Estate: 3 years (Preferred)