Beamdog is looking for an experienced game designer to help us to move forward and design the next generation of Beamdog titles. Your knowledge of game play mechanics and control interfaces will be invaluable as you work on with a team experienced in classic titles like Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition on new and exciting projects.
This position is located in Edmonton, AB. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates.
- Coordinate with the project director and rest of the design team to deliver a coherent project vision from concept through to execution
- Write and maintain detailed game design documentation and work with the programming team on implementation
- Establish design pillars and conventions for projects and review implementation to ensure accuracy
- Use provided scripting tools to balance and tune game mechanics
- Plan gameplay mechanics and features, and create script based on delivered tools
- Take ownership of sections of gameplay and deliver working features within established timelines
- 3+ years practical experience in video game design, in a number of design disciplines
- 3+ years experience working in a multidisciplinary development team
- Must be able to communicate regarding technical aspects of design with programming teams
- Understanding of interdisciplinary dependencies and the ability to anticipate and proactively design around gameplay challenges
- Experience with common scripting languages (Lua, Blueprint)
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Experience shipping a commercial game product
- Knowledge of UI/UX design principles
- Knowledge and understanding of CRPG systems
- Technical background
- 3+ years working in an agile development, preferably on a variety of team types
Beamdog is a fantastic place to work with a friendly and creative atmosphere. Located in Edmonton, Alberta, we're a hardworking team of passionate game developers who love the games we work on. Since 2009, we’ve brought enhanced versions of classic Dungeons & Dragons games and exciting original content to fans new and old. We’re best known for bringing beloved isometric roleplaying games like Baldur’s Gate™ and Planescape: Torment™ back to life on desktop and tablets as Enhanced Editions. We love rich stories where players can chose their own journey and the communities that spring up around them. If you’re excited about storytelling games, Dungeons & Dragons, and classic RPGs, stick around! You haven’t seen anything yet.
We offer the following perks:
- Healthcare Benefits
- Gym Membership
- Lunch & Learns
- A Great Community: Be sure to bring your D&D character!
Job Type: Full-time