Company: Overlander Mountain Lodge & Jasper East Cabins
Position: Head Housekeeper
Location: Overlander Lodge/Folding Mountain Alberta (East edge of Jasper National Park)
Compensation: Depends on Experience
Hours - Shift is primarily daytime. Hours are highly seasonal. Extended work hours for all managers is expected during summer season. Time off during slow season (November, Jan to March)
Seasonal nature of business levels requires that you will perform housekeeping duties during slow period. In busy season you will be mostly managing your team and checking their effectiveness (LMA)
5 Major Roles
LMA - Lead Manage Hold Accountable
Ensure all guest rooms & areas are spotless and meet guest satisfaction targets
With the help of the Operations manager hire, train and managing a team of A players which meeting labour expense targets
Ensure Housekeeping managers checklist is completed to 100% when you work and your days off
Special Projects related to improving housekeeping processes and results
Extremely organized and detail orientated
High energy & stamina
Resourceful. Ability to solve problems on your own
Outgoing and friendly at all times
Ability to deal with guest issues calmly and professionally
Possesses company core values - Integrity, Engaged, Produces Results, Happy Positive, Professional
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
· Establish and implement operational procedures
· Plan and co-ordinate the activities of the housekeepers
· Assist the room attendants which may include, cleaning rooms, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, making beds , sanitizing bathrooms, cleaning windows, removing garbage.
· Co-ordinate the inspection of assigned areas to ensure that health regulations, safety standards and departmental procedures are being met
· Set work schedules according to business levels and achieve labor targets
· Select and purchase equipment and supplies and maintain inventory
· Hire, train and supervise all housekeeping staff
· Conduct performance reviews
· Prepare and manage housekeeping department budges
Owned and operated for over 25 years by the Griffiths family the Overlander Mountain Lodge is boutique mountain lodge built in 1963 that overlooks the east edge of Jasper National Park.
We offer a variety of accommodation options including mountain view lodge rooms, Miette rooms, mountain view cabin rooms and Jasper Park’s only vacation rental homes.
The main lodge is home to the Stone Peak Restaurant. A farm to table casual fine dining restaurant with panoramic mountain views and a Wine spectator awarded wine list.
The Jasper East Cabins are our newly built sister property located 10 mins away at Folding Mountain. This property offers large 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom cabins. The main office has a small general store which we focus on local organic goods.
Folding Mountain is also home to the extremely popular Folding Mountain brewery & taproom built in 2017 and also owned & operated by the Griffiths Family.
In 2019 as we continue to build our location with a focus on health & wellness, we added a modern yurt for events including yoga, women’s retreats & nature courses.
The Overlander lodge & Jasper East cabins are open year-round but the majority of the business is done in the summer season (June to Sept) with primarily regional and international tourism.
During the winter season we have reduced hours by being closed Monday nights and all day Tuesday plus 3 week in January.
The winter is focused on group events & weekend getaways.
Events include ones we host ourselves like Harvest Festival each October and groups that book our facility like Opimian Wine Society or weddings.
There are 2 newly built seasonal staff accommodations at the Folding Mountain property including one made out of seacans opening in 2020 that also has a 1200 sq. ft event room.
Seat Extended Description
Highly physical job requiring cleaning, mopping, sweeping, scrubbing making beds, cleaning toilets
Hire new housekeepers
Train new housekeepers
Evaluate housekeeper’s performance
Terminate underperforming housekeepers swiftly
Improve housekeeping processes
Work closely with Property Operations Manager and Front Desk
Qualities and Attributes
Master of follow through - detail orientated
Execute the vision
Business plan execution/P&L results
Act as a filter
Help solve client and people issues
Keep the team focused on reaching goals/completing quarterly targets
Keep everyone on the same page
Coach the team
Retain and grow great talent
Make the company profitable
Improve and maximize how key functions work together
Manage day to day & integrate major functions
Identify and articulate problems
Metrics for performance
1. Housekeeping managers checklists completed 100% which clearly defines expectations for all guest areas, guest rooms, office and staff areas
2. Meet labour cost targets - Meet cost per room labour targets
3. Ability to maintain a high performing management team - With the help of the operations manager proactively hiring, firing and training direct reports to create a team of A players
4. Meet guest review targets - measured with internal system that considers review systems like Google, TripAdvisor etc. Process in place to solve customer issues before they get too big
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 per hour