Hazelwood Construction Services, Inc., a division of The Hazelwood Group, is seeking an Estimator & Project Manager to join our team in Nanaimo, BC. We work on civil projects on Vancouver Island and throughout the rest of BC. Hazelwood is a well-managed company that values taking care of employees and treating them like family.
Our ideal candidate fits well within our collaborative team, is willing to use their knowledge and experience to help others, and takes immense pride in their work (just like the rest of us!).
Reporting to the General Manager, the Estimator & Project Manager will work on all aspects of a project including start-up, obtaining permits, liaising with subcontractors, preparing tenders, budgets, estimates, and construction schedules.
- Prepare detailed estimates using Explorer and/or Heavy Bid estimating software
- Prepare and submit tenders/proposals. Tenders are to be prepared following careful review of tender documents and drawings, and review of project site as required.
- Actively search for projects (public or private) to bid on. This can be done by searching on BC Bid, Journal of Commerce, Yellow Sheet, networking, etc.
- Review estimates/tenders with General Manager and other Estimator(s)
- Take part in project kick-off meetings
- Assist project manager once estimate becomes a project
- Other estimating duties as required
- Prepare construction schedules and update throughout the project
- Review estimate and initiate project kick-off meeting with project superintendents(s) and foreman
- Daily cost control using HeavyJob and Explorer software
- Review daily time sheets prepared by project superintendents
- Assist in ordering of materials, scheduling subs, and coordinating Hazelwood workforce and equipment
- Take part in contract negotiations with client
- Negotiations with subcontractors and suppliers, and preparation of purchase orders
- Preparation of subcontractor and supplier change orders
- Pricing change orders to clients
- Dealing with cost and delay claims
- Preparation and submission of progress draws
- Review and sign-off on subcontractor and supplier invoices/progress draws
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager
- A Civil Engineering degree or Civil Technology Diploma is required
- 5 years’ experience in Civil Construction Estimating
- 5 years’ experience in Civil Construction as a Project Manager or similar role
- Project experience in underground utilities, road building, or telecommunication infrastructure
Benefits of Employment – Why work at Hazelwood Construction Services?
- Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits plan which includes extended health & dental, vision care, and life insurance.
- Hazelwood Construction is a well-organized company with the resources to complete jobs with proper equipment and personnel in place.
- We have a supportive, family-oriented group of staff that are great to work with and very proud of the work we do.
We welcome applications from individuals who meet the above criteria and who are interested in a career with Hazelwood Construction Services.
Since 1993, Hazelwood Construction has built a solid reputation for market excellence, drawing on a foundation of quality work, stability and innovative approaches to challenging projects.
Our company is founded on the principles of dedication, teamwork, and commitment to quality construction. After more than 20 years, Hazelwood Construction continues to maintain stable growth, while steadily diversifying the company’s project portfolio. No job is too challenging and innovation is the key to our success.
Please see our website for more information about Hazelwood www.hazelwoodconstruction.com
- Work from home opportunities
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Vacation & paid time off
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Bonus scheme
- On-site parking
- Casual dress
- Wellness programs
- Company events & social hours
- Company car
- Education reimbursement
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Project Management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Estimating: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)